OneCare Backup reporting issues with 2nd PC RRS feed

• General discussion

• My second PC tells OneCareHub that It needs to be backed because of changed files, yet it was backed up that day. My OneCareHub says make the changes on the 2nd PC in order to fix the issue (external backup drive is on each PC and not done by centralized backup). I go to 2nd PC to fix backup problem and it tells me that I can only do that from the Hub PC.

This is ridiculous to have to second guess who is right and how to fix the issue. I couldn't get centralized backup to work because the two PC's can't talk to each other without some major network change that is buried deep down in software.

PC Hub runs Vista Ultimate 64 bit and 2nd PC runs Vista Home Premium 64 bit.

There are 6912 living languages in this world so getting two PC's to talk should be easy.
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:29 PM

All replies

• For some reason it would seem that the second PC thinks it is using Centralized backup or you did manage to at least partially configure Centralized backup.

It may be worthwhile resetting the backup plan:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

The following would then be performed at each PC to configure backup for that PC. If you wish to use Centralized backup, use that option in the backup plan settings.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

If your PCs are not seeing each other, 

Open OneCare on each of the computers.

Click Change Settings

On the firewall tab, click configure firewall

If the network is shown as Public, click Change Location to change it to "Home or Work."

Click the Advanced Settings button

Click Network connections tab.

If there are multiple active connections shown, you may need to disable the extras in your Windows network connections settings. (Network and Sharing Center, manage connections, in Vista; Right click My Network Places and select Properties on the Start menu in XP)

On the Ports and Protocols tab, add a check mark next to File and Printer Sharing - for subnet and Internet if the first setting alone (after all of the above are verified) does not allow Sharing to work.

Once you have Sharing working and the PCs see each other, you would need to set the permissions for the backup device if using Centralized Backup.

See this KB article for how to do this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943909

If you need help with any of this, support is an option available to you:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:39 PM
  • Stephen,
    The PC's see each other fine and sharing is not the problem. I am sharing music, photos, on each PC with no problem. Vista automatically see's each printer and offers to share those as well.

I had already performed your steps on resetting the backup plan prior to making my post. I can tell you for a fact that my backup problems started after I signed up and paid my money. Each computer ran fine while individually running One Care under the trial. Backup became screwy when I paid my subscription and designated one PC as the Hub and tried to run centralized backup.

If you tell me I have to uninstall One Care on each PC and start over I will be very upset!
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:59 PM
  • No, I'm not ready to recommend reinstalling. You can try a database reset - 

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4bc2594b-95ab-4235-b5b8-41656b38480f&DisplayLang=en

on one or both PCs (note that this isn't as bad as a reinstall, but will require you to configure things again and will mean approving programs that you may have previously approved.)

Or you can go ahead and open a support case and have them try to help you out.

-steve

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:38 PM
  • Sorry Stephen, I ran this and it failed to work. error code = 1
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:05 PM
  •  BigMikeGrizzman wrote:
    Sorry Stephen, I ran this and it failed to work. error code = 1

Hmm.... Curious. I think a support call is clearly in order if you wish to try and prevent a reinstall...

-steve

Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:06 PM