What if the Legal Key doesn't work, and I have to install the CD? RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased Windows XP Pro, online, to replace the Win2000-over-Win98 combination I had on my computer (it had lots of problems).  After I had it installed, and lots of stuff back on my computer, I found out it was probably an OEM copy that was not supposed to be sold retail.  I did not mind paying for a more 'legal copy', but I did not want to loose all the stuff on my computer to re-install a new copy.  I was told by someone, that my full back-up on my external hard drive (kept turned off except when backing-up), would be of no help in preserving my settings and information--much less my numerous programs.

I am glad to take Microsoft up on their offer; I will feel better knowing I am completely legal again.

What I want to know, is if the Genuine Advantage Key doesn't work, and I have to re-install from the disc, can I salvage any of what is in my Back-up?...and how do I go about doing it?

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 5:12 AM

Answers

•  mybabycakes wrote:

The part of my question that is important, is:

If I do have to reinstall from disc, will my full Backup, made with my present Windows version, be any good to me at all?  Will it work as a Backup?

If you backup with your current genuine version of Windows, you should be fine :).

I would recommend using System Restore as well, that should help streamline things

-phil

Saturday, July 15, 2006 9:51 AM

All replies

• mybabycakes,

The Genuine Advantage Product Key Update Tool is only valid for users attempting to change their current non-genuine Product Key to a genuine COA sticker or genuine Product Key – all without a reinstall! http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409

Note: This is provided no core system files are corrupted. If they are you will need to complete a clean install of your system.

This should work just fine. if for some reason it does not, Please re-post giving us the error.

Thanks,

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 1:56 PM
  • The part of my question that is important, is:

If I do have to reinstall from disc, will my full Backup, made with my present Windows version, be any good to me at all?  Will it work as a Backup?

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 6:32 PM
  • I am happy to report that I did not have to find out, at this time, if the Back-up works.

I ordered the Product Key, and received it in 3 days.  I have already installed it, and wondering if and how it needs to be Activated.

I will definitely make a brand new current Back-up with my Genuine Windows XP Pro, as soon as I have time.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 6:14 AM
  •  mybabycakes wrote:

The part of my question that is important, is:

If you backup with your current genuine version of Windows, you should be fine :).

I would recommend using System Restore as well, that should help streamline things

-phil

Saturday, July 15, 2006 9:51 AM