Upgrade to release install error "... is not a valid short file name" RRS feed

• Question

•  

I had an earlier build of SharedView on my system and am unable to install the released version.

Shortly after launching setup I receive the error " '3C9F7B3F-D55C-42cd-8537-B878518B73AF' is not a valid short file name."  I click the OK and then get "Microsoft SharedView Setup Wizard ended prematurely".

I'm unable to find an earlier MSI that I can run /uninstall from.  Attempts to run /uninstall with the most recent MSI tells me the application is not installed.

Launching the EXE tells me the current version is out of date and that I must upgrade which loops me back to a failed install of the update.

Please advise how to manually remove the older build by deleting files and/or registry settings.  Thank you.

Friday, April 25, 2008 9:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Bryce,

Do you just want to manually uninstall the earlier version of SharedView or do you want to install the latest version?

Can you please search the registry for this value 3C9F7B3F-D55C-42cd-8537-B878518B73AF and let me know what you find?

Do you have a U3 device connected to your machine? Could you disconnect them and try running setup again?

Also, can you please look at the suggestion at  http://forums.microsoft.com/sharedviewbeta/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3227188&SiteID=59 and try it out.

We really appreciate your feedback! Please let me know if none of these suggestions work or you want to just uninstall the earlier version and I will reply with instructions.

Thanks,

Manisha.

Program Manager, SharedView.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 10:19 PM