Scripting Network Topology selection (to do list) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I'm trying to work on a fully automated installation of a cluster in HPC 2008 (and/or CCS 2003). I can automatically create the clusters with the head nodes and the compute nodes (offline) and I'm pretty sure that I know how I would bring them up through scripting after following the steps in the "To Do List". I have also reached this point using Compute Cluster Server 2003.

I was kind of hoping that the Powershell implementation would give me obvious cmdlets to configure the network topology, something like "Set-CcpNetworkTopology"  but well, that didn't happen. The cmdlets that I see pretty much reflect the command line implementations that I had seen with Windows Server 2003. So, my guess is that I could use those commands to select the network topology, I just don't know how and I haven't been able to find the info anywhere.

Is there any way to fully configure the installation or is it necessary to use the configuration wizard in HPC 2008 and/or CCS 2003?

Thanks!

Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Stephen,

I'm the scripting PM on the HPC team. Could you give me some background on why you want to automate to do list? Will you need to install your cluster again and again?

If you've installed HPC Server 2008 CTP version, then you should have all the cmdlets you need to automate every aspect of our product except reporting. A lot of cmdlets were not available in Beta 1.

The following are the steps to complete the To Do list:

## Set network topology to public network topology
    Set-HpcNetwork -Topology Public -Public intel*
    ## Set install credential
    Set-HpcClusterProperty -InstallCredential username

## Set naming series
    Set-HpcClusterProperty -NodeNamingSeries MyCluster%1000%
    ## Set node template. This is an empty template without any images
    New-HpcNodeTemplate -Name DefaultNodeTemplate -Description "Default node template"

You should see some examples of how to use Set-HpcNetwork in the help doc.

Get-Help Set-HpcNetwork -detailed

You may also want to bring the nodes online so they're ready to use. Here are the steps for doing these:

## Apply the node template to all unknown compute nodes. 

Get-hpcnode -State unknown -GroupName computenodes | Assign-HpcNodeTemplate -Name defaultnode* -ConfirmEmbarrassedfalse

## Bring all the offline nodes to the online state.

Get-HpcNode -State offline -GroupName computenodes | Set-HpcNodeState -State online

Christina

Microsoft HPC Team

Friday, March 28, 2008 2:44 AM
  • Hello Christina,

Yes, we are working with a very dynamic clustering environment. Clusters will be constantly rebuilt and provisioned in both Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003.

I reviewed the cmdlets in the Microsoft.ComputeCluster PSSnapin and I didn't see the ones you mentioned. I might not be using the CTP version, I'll recheck and work with your instructions.

Any chance you know if this could also be automated on CCS 2003?

You've been of great help, thank you very much,

Stephen Murillo

Friday, March 28, 2008 6:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Stephen,

I'm the scripting PM on the HPC team. Could you give me some background on why you want to automate to do list? Will you need to install your cluster again and again?

If you've installed HPC Server 2008 CTP version, then you should have all the cmdlets you need to automate every aspect of our product except reporting. A lot of cmdlets were not available in Beta 1.

The following are the steps to complete the To Do list:

## Set network topology to public network topology
    Set-HpcNetwork -Topology Public -Public intel*
    ## Set install credential
    Set-HpcClusterProperty -InstallCredential username

## Set naming series
    Set-HpcClusterProperty -NodeNamingSeries MyCluster%1000%
    ## Set node template. This is an empty template without any images
    New-HpcNodeTemplate -Name DefaultNodeTemplate -Description "Default node template"

You should see some examples of how to use Set-HpcNetwork in the help doc.

Get-Help Set-HpcNetwork -detailed

You may also want to bring the nodes online so they're ready to use. Here are the steps for doing these:

## Apply the node template to all unknown compute nodes. 

Get-hpcnode -State unknown -GroupName computenodes | Assign-HpcNodeTemplate -Name defaultnode* -ConfirmEmbarrassedfalse

## Bring all the offline nodes to the online state.

Get-HpcNode -State offline -GroupName computenodes | Set-HpcNodeState -State online

Christina

Microsoft HPC Team

Friday, March 28, 2008 2:44 AM
  • Hello Christina,

Yes, we are working with a very dynamic clustering environment. Clusters will be constantly rebuilt and provisioned in both Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003.

I reviewed the cmdlets in the Microsoft.ComputeCluster PSSnapin and I didn't see the ones you mentioned. I might not be using the CTP version, I'll recheck and work with your instructions.

Any chance you know if this could also be automated on CCS 2003?

You've been of great help, thank you very much,

Stephen Murillo

Friday, March 28, 2008 6:06 AM
  • Stephen,

Unfortunately there was no Public API or Scripting Interface for configuring the networks in CCS2003.

Thanks,
    Josh

Friday, March 28, 2008 10:38 PM
  • Hello Josh,

I suspected that much; but it is nice to finally have a confirmation.

Thanks for your prompt reply,

Stephen

Friday, March 28, 2008 10:48 PM