Strange WHS Client issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have had WHS 2011 running for over a year with nightly backups with no problem. 

I had more or less forgotten about it, until I installed a SSM disk as the C drive. Used Acronis to make a mirror image (great program BTW), and everything was fine on (this) client PC.

A few days later I decide to look at backups on the WHS.  There were none.  Not too surprising I suspected because it was a different physical disk. I erase all the backups on the WHS (did not need them), reformatted that (dedicated)  backup disk  and then ran into problems…

When I go to “Computers & Backup” none of the Client computers present a Task menu with an option to start a backup for that computer.  I uninstalled the WHS client software and reinstalled it on the client again. No effect.  

What has me baffled is that I cannot backup any of the client computers.

Can somebody please give me some suggestions? 

Friday, February 8, 2013 4:27 AM

Answers

• As long as they are not on the same disk as that which you install WHS, you should be fine. For safety, I would have them disconnected during the installation. Acronis may of course have been the problem in the first place - WHS will do all you wanted to do.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by monahan_z Sunday, February 17, 2013 8:21 PM
    Saturday, February 16, 2013 1:13 PM

All replies

• There was no need to erase or reformat the backup disk.

After changing the client hard disk you just open the Dashboard, select the client computer and select the option "Customize Backup for the computer" and then the option to add or remove backup items. You will notice that the partitions of the old disk are still selected but marked as offline. Deselect them and select the partitions of the new hard disk (in your case the SSD). That's all.

Since you have erased the backup disk you will have to customize the backup for all your clients.

Luc.

Friday, February 8, 2013 8:15 AM
  • Unfortunately that's my problem, I do not get that option on the RHS side panel of the "Computers & Backup".

All I get is

View computer properties

Restore files or folders (none show up)

Remove the computer.

Additional client backup tasks do not help either .

Its as if the Client Connector is not there, yet the computer is listed on dashboard. Status Unknown!

Saturday, February 9, 2013 9:52 PM
  • So you have not done anything to your Server - new software? Do you have more than one client with this problem or just the one you moved to SSD with Acronis? If so and you back up your server, you could try a restore to a point before the problems started. Incidentally, why did you use Acronis and not restore from a WHS backup - if you still have your old backups or your old client HDD, you could try that approach.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 12:24 AM
  • I'm not 100% sure but I seem to remember the other client I had on nightly backup was working fine.  Since I really did not need any of the backups I just erased all backups on that (dedicated to backups, drive) on the server.  I formatted that server disk and it is listed simply as F:\ under "Server Folders & Hard Disks".  The problem I'm having is that neither client (both W7)  are presented an option to backup the client.  The menu just does not appear when I click on the client.  Yet the Dashboard on the client appears fine and the same as on the Server. 

Trying to restore the server to a month earlier image did not work either!   It looks like the client is not allowing itself to be backed up.

I got burned once in the past with WHS and a backup, that is why I always have once a month Acronis as a second independent backup.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:59 AM
  • After you formatted the F: drive, how did you recreate your "Client Computer Backups" folder?

Sunday, February 10, 2013 1:58 PM
  • Sorry Phil I was traveling all week just got back this morning and should be OK for next week..

I just created a new folder on the reformatted drive. It does show up on the folder listing (F:\)  However when I select Restore files or folders on the Server that drive (complete system), that drive does not show up as an option.  I want back to an old October backup long before I switched out the SSD on Drive C on this client.  There are other drives listed.

C: Operating System

D: Second (unused) small partition of same drive

G: Video files  (2TB)

H: Spare Drive

Drive F: is not listed.

• Edited by monahan_z Friday, February 15, 2013 5:08 PM
    Friday, February 15, 2013 5:07 PM
  • In the Dashboard it should have told you that one of the standard folders was missing and when you said "Yes" it should have been recreated for you. You could then have moved it in the Dashboard to where you wanted it. If you open the Dashboard now under Server Folders & Hard Drives, Server Folders, does it show the "Client Computer Backups" folder and is it located where you expect it to be?

Friday, February 15, 2013 5:46 PM
  • Phil I'm about to give up in disgust with this whole thing! I do not see the Client Computers backup listed anywhere. 

I think I will just reinstall the whole darn WHS from scratch again.  (The reason I will always have Acronis as a backup!!)

My last question. I have a large amount of video files on two separate disks. If I disconnect these, install WHS and replug in the two disks will I have any difficulty accessing the files on those disks.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 12:44 AM
  • As long as they are not on the same disk as that which you install WHS, you should be fine. For safety, I would have them disconnected during the installation. Acronis may of course have been the problem in the first place - WHS will do all you wanted to do.

• Marked as answer by monahan_z Sunday, February 17, 2013 8:21 PM
    Saturday, February 16, 2013 1:13 PM