Pie chart report of a specific category RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I used Microsoft money about 2 years ago and then it was possible to dig in a specific category of expenses to see a pie chart of that category.

So for example when I choose a pie chart report of expenses i get a pie chart of the different categories of expenses.

The thing I want to do, is to be able to choose food from this pie and get a new pie chart of the different payees in the food category. Instead, when I double click, I get a list of the transactions in the food category, but not a chart like i would like.

I would really appreciate if someone could help with this.

Thursday, October 31, 2019 2:40 PM

All replies

• Start with Spending by payee report.

Customize

Chart tab: Pie chart radio button. Optionally choose Pie labels.

Category tab: Clear All, and then select food categories.

Date tab: change or not.

Details tab: select Type:AllTypes if you want returns to be taken into account

Apply or OK.

You could save the report as a favorite if you like.

Thursday, October 31, 2019 6:42 PM
  • One thing to be aware of when using the "Spending by Payee" report.  It will not show refunds, - i.e. any deposits that have an expense category. 

So let's say you buy something in the "Household" category.  That will show up.  But if you return that item and enter a deposit for the return amount using the "Household" category, the deposit will not show up in the report.  Money warns you when you categorize a deposit as an expense, but it doesn't warn you that the "Spending by Payee" report will not contain the deposit.

In addition to refunds, this can happen for things like insurance where you pay a monthly amount and then deposit a dividend check at the end of the year. 

In contrast, the "Spending by Category" report does include deposits categorized as expenses.  You may want to look at customizing that if proper accounting for refunds is important.

Bill Becker

Thursday, October 31, 2019 9:47 PM
  • In contrast, the "Spending by Category" report does include deposits categorized as expenses.  You may want to look at customizing that if proper accounting for refunds is important.

Doesn't make for much of a pie chart -- just a big yellow circle.

For that deeper analysis, I would use "Transactions by payee" and "Rows&Columns" tab, Subtotal by Payees. Any refunds would show up in a black Amount. No pie.

Thursday, October 31, 2019 10:03 PM
  • Cal,

I stand corrected.  I played around some more with "Spending by Payee".  I suspect that at some point I had played around with a report and inadvertently selected "Payments" in the "Type" field of the "Details" tab when using "Customize Report".  When I select "All Types", the refunds (and all deposits) do show up.

Sorry for the confusion.

Bill Becker

Friday, November 1, 2019 1:45 AM
  • Cal,

I stand corrected.  I played around some more with "Spending by Payee".  I suspect that at some point I had played around with a report and inadvertently selected "Payments" in the "Type" field of the "Details" tab when using "Customize Report".  When I select "All Types", the refunds (and all deposits) do show up.

Sorry for the confusion.

Bill Becker

Good find! I will edit my post above to describe the Details tab. You did not cause that by playing around. Resetting the report selects Details->Type:Payments. By changing to Type:AllTypes does overcome the limitation that you noted.

Friday, November 1, 2019 3:53 PM