none
Any way to sync only NEW files? RRS feed

• Question

• I've used Synctoy for a couple of years to keep my ever-growing music library synced on mulitple PC's and notebooks.
    One issue that frustrates me is the inability to sync JUST new files.  Because of the way iTunes and Zune Software work, sometimes they
    change the date of a MP3 even though the file itself has not changed.  Suddenly, when I go to sync, I've got over 8000 files that need to be sync'ed
    because their dates have changed! 

What I would like to do is just sync the NEW files, not the ones marked OVERWRITE.  I see on the preview that I can check or uncheck a file,
    but it doesn't make sense to manually uncheck 8000 files (is there an uncheck ALL)?

Is there any way to do this with 2.0?  If not, can that be a feature that is added with 2.1? 
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 1:48 PM

Answers

• I use a program to file synchronization, which is called File Sync. File sync program (http://www.fileutilityblog.com/archives/240) is one of the most efficient programs of all that I know. That is why I use this program and haven't any problems.
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 2:57 PM

All replies

• I use a program to file synchronization, which is called File Sync. File sync program (http://www.fileutilityblog.com/archives/240) is one of the most efficient programs of all that I know. That is why I use this program and haven't any problems.
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 2:57 PM
  • Hi -

On your folder pair - select the "Check File Contents" option ( you can edit an existing folder pair and add this option)> This will ensure that only new files or truely updated files are sync'ed.
    Thanks
    Deepa

Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 7:31 PM
  • Hi -

On your folder pair - select the "Check File Contents" option ( you can edit an existing folder pair and add this option)> This will ensure that only new files or truely updated files are sync'ed.
    Thanks
    Deepa

Since enabling that option, my sync times are horrendously slow (obviously, since it has to compare the files, byte-by-byte), but is it slow each time, or does Synctoy
    somehow record each file checksum or something so that future syncs are faster?  

Since I am syncing over 8000 files, "Check File Contents" may not be feasible if it checks each file every time!
    Monday, October 19, 2009 12:15 AM
  • Hi -

We do calculate and store the checksum the first time but then we have to calculate it again to figure out what changed. It is hard for me to figure out though if your first sync is being affected only by the checksum calculation ( we know we have some other bugs when it comes to NTFS-FAT sync's etc. ) so the only way to know for sure would be to try a no-changes sync the second time and see if the performance is acceptable that time. Sorry I could not give you a more definitive answer.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Monday, October 19, 2009 6:29 AM