Can I restore data to a different OS? RRS feed

• Question

• My wife's laptop HD failed the other day - WHS to the rescue!  I've ordered the replacement and I'm trying to plan the recovery.

He laptop has Vista on it now.  When the new HD arrives, I want to install Windows 7 on it.  If I do that, will I be able to restore data from the WHS backup to the new Windows7-based machine even though it was originally backed up from Vista?  Should I install Vista, restore, then upgrade?

One other question for a WHS newbie.  Should I restore the data then re-install applications, or should I install the apps first then restore data?  Does it matter?  All she really had on it was Office.

Thanks for the help!

Adam

Friday, August 13, 2010 4:13 PM

Answers

• My wife's laptop HD failed the other day - WHS to the rescue!  I've ordered the replacement and I'm trying to plan the recovery.

He laptop has Vista on it now.  When the new HD arrives, I want to install Windows 7 on it.  If I do that, will I be able to restore data from the WHS backup to the new Windows7-based machine even though it was originally backed up from Vista?

Yes.

Should I install Vista, restore, then upgrade?

While you can do it that way, I'm not a fan of upgrade installs by any stretch of the imagination.  If it was me, I would do a clean install of 7, then restore your documents from your server.

One other question for a WHS newbie.  Should I restore the data then re-install applications, or should I install the apps first then restore data?  Does it matter?

No.  Either way will work.

All she really had on it was Office.

Thanks for the help!

Adam

• Marked as answer by Adam Barney Monday, August 16, 2010 7:45 PM
    Friday, August 13, 2010 6:07 PM

All replies

• Restore (vista it is) and then upgrade to Windows 7 seems to be the easiest way to go.

"Adam Barney" wrote in message news:b6185673-5221-475e-be4a-77dcca348841@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

My wife's laptop HD failed the other day - WHS to the rescue! I've ordered the replacement and I'm trying to plan the recovery.

He laptop has Vista on it now. When the new HD arrives, I want to install Windows 7 on it. If I do that, will I be able to restore data from the WHS backup to the new Windows7-based machine even though it was originally backed up from Vista? Should I install Vista, restore, then upgrade?

One other question for a WHS newbie. Should I restore the data then re-install applications, or should I install the apps first then restore data? Does it matter? All she really had on it was Office.

Thanks for the help!

Adam

Have a nice day!
    Friday, August 13, 2010 4:20 PM

He laptop has Vista on it now.  When the new HD arrives, I want to install Windows 7 on it.  If I do that, will I be able to restore data from the WHS backup to the new Windows7-based machine even though it was originally backed up from Vista?

Yes.

Should I install Vista, restore, then upgrade?

While you can do it that way, I'm not a fan of upgrade installs by any stretch of the imagination.  If it was me, I would do a clean install of 7, then restore your documents from your server.

One other question for a WHS newbie.  Should I restore the data then re-install applications, or should I install the apps first then restore data?  Does it matter?

No.  Either way will work.

All she really had on it was Office.

Thanks for the help!

Adam

• Marked as answer by Adam Barney Monday, August 16, 2010 7:45 PM
    Friday, August 13, 2010 6:07 PM
  • Thanks!  HD is arriving tomorrow.  Hoping for a smooth restore.
    Monday, August 16, 2010 7:45 PM