Bulk edit from a .CSV file without GUID RRS feed

• Question

• I have a CSV file with Contacts information i want to update. This CSV file comes from a third party, so I dont have the ContactId. However, I do have an unique colum for Contacts.

I have tried to do it from SQL and it works. I create a tmp database with a table name Query where I inserted ContactId and the DNI (unique value for every Contact). Then I created another table with colums to be update. I create a view matching DNIs from both tables, and exported to a CSV file.

Finaly I had a CSV file, with Contact GUID. Importing this file was not a problem.

But its not a s solution. My client is updating Contacts continuisly from CSV files without GUiD. They dont have Sql knowledge. I need to provide them a better and easy solution.

Can anyone help find the best way to achieve this ?

Thank you.

Vero

Friday, March 26, 2010 1:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• well you need GUID so that CRM can understand which Contact needs to be updated..see following thread for the same..

http://weblogs.asp.net/vardi/archive/2009/06/17/how-to-use-the-data-enrichment-re-import-feature-in-microsoft-dynamics-crm-4-0.aspx

Now since you still have DNI (unique number), I suggest export all contact to excel with two colums DNI and contactID (use dynamic export) and it will include contact id..

Now use above exported sheet as source to fill the relevant contactid in your CSV..(I mean user VLookUp function in excel to get the contactid based on DNI number)...

then once you have contactid in csv then you can go for normal export..

give it try..hope this help..

• Proposed as answer by Ranko Marinić Thursday, April 1, 2010 9:15 PM
    Friday, March 26, 2010 1:40 PM
  • If you are willing to consider a commercial solution for this issue, then check out Data2CRM http://www.crmInnovation.com/data2crm.asp

It can do insert/updates and it so easy even a marketing manager can use it. No technical knowledge is required as we have used Silverlight to design a visual drag and drop interface.

Jerry http://www.crminnovation.com
    Friday, March 26, 2010 1:54 PM
  • MayankP, thank you for the answer.

I have 5 millons Contacs on my CRM...I dont think excel can manage that amount...

I came out with another solution but I dont know if its posible to do it. Can I use the CSV file matching the DNI in an Advance Search in order to get the ContactID ? Can CRM fetch a file for search?

Hope you understant the idea. My english is awfull.

Vero

Friday, March 26, 2010 1:55 PM
  • ofcourse, well you can adavanced fine to retrive only specific record but user need to put the DNI number each time they are trying to get the contactid..

so my suggestion is to give them custom window/web application with one form and one Grid..

where they select CSV as input and then in window application you write code in C# to return back the csv with contactid as extra column..

then they can just user this application input file and click button and then get the out put CSV file with contact id which they can use to update data..

Friday, March 26, 2010 5:41 PM
  • MayankP thanks again.'

Its the first time I am using the CRM sdk. Whatl do you mean by "custom window/web aplication", is it inside the CRM ? like a plug in ?

Monday, March 29, 2010 6:59 PM
  • custom web application (ASP.NET Application) with one page  ..something like eService portal..see below

http://crmaccelerators.codeplex.com/releases/view/19956

user can access it and input csv file and you give them csv back with IDs..

Monday, March 29, 2010 7:20 PM
  • I think I get what you're after.  You know if you export to Excel from a view you have the option of exporting a dynamic sheet.  The last column is hidden and contains the GUID.  One little hitch.  Before you save to CSV you need to copy the whole sheet to a new one to keep that GUID from disappearing.
    Monday, March 29, 2010 9:57 PM
  • Manyank, do you mean I should modified the eService code ??

Mardukes, the thing is cant export 5 mill contacts to excel...

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 2:12 PM
  • Hi Vero,

Check this Bulk Edit tool. I'm using it and it working fine for me.

http://mscrmbulkupdatetool.codeplex.com/

My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:33 PM
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 2:15 PM

You users are regularly exporting 5MM contacts for transfer!!!???
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 2:55 PM

You users are regularly exporting 5MM contacts for transfer!!!???

In the telemarketting industry, for a small firm I used to work at a long time ago, I routinely dealt with several hundred thousand "Contacts" that were both imported and exported on a daily basis (initially from a FoxPro database, which made me weep blood; later from a custom-built PHP/MySQL application).  The contact information had to be matched to existing records as closely as possible (generally by phone number), and then sanitized against the National "Do Not Call" Registry and other, internal "Do Not Call" lists.  Obviously, tracking the performance of a Contact would be better done as a Lead in the long-run, but reconciling Leads and Contacts in such volumes without the availability of GUIDs often means matching on several attributes simultaneously.  Doing so in CRM isn't exactly productive using conventional, "out of the box" methods.
    Dave Berry
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:49 PM
  • Same here in the direct mail industry.  However, importing, exporting and overlaying were never entrusted to common users without the technical skills for the duties.  I am suggesting that if the Excel method for delivering the Contact id is insufficient perhaps any solution involves biting off more than can be chewed.

Again, the time that I was solicited for a position where one of the job requirements was the ability to explain complex ideas to marketing staff.  My response to the solicitor was, "good luck finding that person."

Thursday, April 1, 2010 2:05 PM
  • Haha.  Well played, sir.  I concur.
    Dave Berry
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 4:17 PM