Can I Validate RRS feed

• Question

• I have bought 2 HP desk tops, 1 HP laptop and a Balance lap top each with xp home edition. I like to conserve my hard drive space but they each store appox 4 gig byes of the drive for restore.  Since I have Windows cd's install for each pc I see no need for this space to be used and can not install without it useing the 4 gig. I downloaded xp pro from a share site with activation key and re-installed it on the 2 desk tops. Is there anyway I can get them to validate without cost since I have paid for Windows on each computer. I registered every pc with microsoft and don't understand why they want my Windows cd's and proof of purchase ect... they should have it somewhere else why register them.
    Monday, August 14, 2006 6:30 AM

Answers

• N9uic,

For the amount of time and hassle this is going to consume, you would have been better off IMO just buying additional hard disks, which are very inexpensive, and installing them in the desktop computers.

Dealing with the laptop would be slightly more complicated, but not that much, you would just have to purchase an external hard disk drive enclosure that accommodates laptop disks, then use a "ghost"-type imaging program to copy the entire contents of the exiting disk to the new larger disk.

And the licenses for XP Home and XP Pro are not equivalent licenses as you seem to think.  If you go by typical pricing, XP Pro is normally twice as much money as XP Home.  EDIT:  Normally about 50% more for XP Pro.

Monday, August 14, 2006 1:42 PM

All replies

• Where did you "download" Windows XP Professional?

-phil

Monday, August 14, 2006 7:41 AM
  • Thats not the issue here. I would gladly use my registered version's that came with each of the pc's if I  knew how to install Windows xp Home Edition "by itself" without all the hp extra trial versions of many programs that expire in 30 days and the extra 4 gig of my drive it uses for system restore.
    Monday, August 14, 2006 12:14 PM
  •  n9uic wrote:
    I have bought 2 HP desk tops, 1 HP laptop and a Balance lap top each with xp home edition. I like to conserve my hard drive space but they each store appox 4 gig byes of the drive for restore.  Since I have Windows cd's install for each pc I see no need for this space to be used and can not install without it useing the 4 gig. I downloaded xp pro from a share site with activation key and re-installed it on the 2 desk tops. Is there anyway I can get them to validate without cost since I have paid for Windows on each computer. I registered every pc with microsoft and don't understand why they want my Windows cd's and proof of purchase ect... they should have it somewhere else why register them.

HP Pavilions that ship with Microsoft Windows XP do
    not come with Recovery CDs. Instead, they use a hidden
    space (partition) on the hard drive to store the recovery
    information.

Read the following article thoroughly, then follow
    the steps outlined to perform a "destructive"
    recovery operation.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145&product=71013&dlc=en&lang=en

Note: If you removed the hidden HP recovery partition, you'll need to order:

Obtaining HP Recovery CDs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=71013&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07143 

Monday, August 14, 2006 1:14 PM
  • N9uic,

For the amount of time and hassle this is going to consume, you would have been better off IMO just buying additional hard disks, which are very inexpensive, and installing them in the desktop computers.

Dealing with the laptop would be slightly more complicated, but not that much, you would just have to purchase an external hard disk drive enclosure that accommodates laptop disks, then use a "ghost"-type imaging program to copy the entire contents of the exiting disk to the new larger disk.

And the licenses for XP Home and XP Pro are not equivalent licenses as you seem to think.  If you go by typical pricing, XP Pro is normally twice as much money as XP Home.  EDIT:  Normally about 50% more for XP Pro.

Monday, August 14, 2006 1:42 PM
  • Thanks for telling me what I already knew, but let me inform you that true my first hp bought did not come with the cd's. I called hp and told them I wanted those cd's or they could have there pc back since I could do so in the first 15 days after the purchase. The second hp desktop and my 2 laptops did come with full recover disk. Let me also say in the past three years I have spent well over $5000.00 for my pc's and extra hardware for them. It is sad to think I should pay another $150.00 just to validate or fix a stolen version for the sake of being able to gain an extra 4 gig of space on my drive.  Microsoft says they want the cd's I already have copies of the receipts for the computers and $150.00. If the stolen copy can not be validated to work and get updates without a cost I guess I will continue taking the chance of a security problem (knock on wood) which I have not had yet in three years then I will continue to use their product. And if what I have stops working then I will just switch back to a unix or linux based software that I think may be more secure anyhow. Yeah somewhat complicated but whats learning about.

Monday, August 14, 2006 1:48 PM
  • n9uic,

If you want to upgrade your computers from XP Home to XP Pro, a typical price for a retail upgrade license is $149-199 depending upon whether they are on sale or not.  There is no need to send in receipts or CDs to MS, just walk into a local retail store that sells MS software products and make the purchase.

It's not a matter of 4 gigabytes of space, is it?  Why not be truthful and legitimate and simply purchase the product that you are now using illegally?

Monday, August 14, 2006 1:58 PM
  • Yet another that says spend more money for something I don't need. I already paid for the drives I have and they work. The two desk tops are dual partition windows and linux since I got the xp pro but since I can't do the dual partition with the way hp set them up what am I to do once they snoop into my computer and say oh thats stolen so you can't have any updates now. Just who takes the blame hp for setting them up that way or microsoft for allowing it to be done or me for being too stupid to buy three hp's and a balance without knowing they would be that way.
    Monday, August 14, 2006 2:00 PM
  •  n9uic wrote:

Thanks for telling me what I already knew, but let me inform you that true my first hp bought did not come with the cd's. I called hp and told them I wanted those cd's or they could have there pc back since I could do so in the first 15 days after the purchase. The second hp desktop and my 2 laptops did come with full recover disk. Let me also say in the past three years I have spent well over $5000.00 for my pc's and extra hardware for them. It is sad to think I should pay another $150.00 just to validate or fix a stolen version for the sake of being able to gain an extra 4 gig of space on my drive.  Microsoft says they want the cd's I already have copies of the receipts for the computers and $150.00. If the stolen copy can not be validated to work and get updates without a cost I guess I will continue taking the chance of a security problem (knock on wood) which I have not had yet in three years then I will continue to use their product. And if what I have stops working then I will just switch back to a unix or linux based software that I think may be more secure anyhow. Yeah somewhat complicated but whats learning about.

Thr only way to validate an illegally licensed, non-genuine version of Windows, is to either use your HP recovery media to return your system to its originally, legally licensed state, or purchase a legal license for your illegal installation of Windows XP Pro.

Monday, August 14, 2006 2:03 PM
  • N9uic,

Try this experiment (I have not personally tried this but it should work from what I know):

1.  Take a disk image of one of your computers, just in case this does not work, you'll be able to return to normal.

2.  Next, borrow a genuine hologram systembuilder/OEM XP Home Edition CDROM from a friend.  Do not use any CD that is intended to be installed only on a certain brand name computer---you want the generic MS OEM CD.

3.  Install XP Home on the test computer the way you want, allowing extra partition(s) for the Linux OS you are dual booting with.  It is my expectation that the systembuilder/OEM CD will accept the Product Key on the computer for installation.

4.  Attempt to activate your installation using the Product Key for XP Home on the HP Certificate of Authenticity.  If the automated activation system does not allow (which it should not---this prevents someone from stealing your PK and doing exactly what you are doing), please choose the prompts that get you to a live operator.

5.  Once you are talking to an activation operator, if they ask, explain that you are doing a customized installation of XP Home on your HP computer and would like to activate.  It is my expectation that you will be able to activate normally.

Let us know if it works for you.

Monday, August 14, 2006 2:23 PM
  • Yes it is a matter of the 4 gig plus the fact they both have dual partitions windows and linux. My knowledge of windows and setup is above average but to redo everything I have done in the Linux world would about detour me from useing a computer at all. The trueth is I should have purchased xp pro in the past years when I bought the machines and not switched over to a stolen copy, but that was approx two years ago and there has been no problems until Microsoft now wants to validate. Thanks anyway
    Monday, August 14, 2006 2:23 PM
  • Dan

Everyone has tried their best but you may have it figured out for me and I Thank You. I will however need to study now on makeing an image of the disk since I have not done that.  Thats my fault too for taking a chance that my drives will live forever and hopeing if either should crash beyond repair my back up files are all there. I will try your advice and hope I have some time to get it done before any updates I should need and can't get shuts the xp pro down.

Thanks Again

Monday, August 14, 2006 2:58 PM