none
Old style link no longer works RRS feed

Answers

• Robert,

Can you please figure this out and tell the exact steps needed to be used in FireFox and Google Chrome to find out the info?

Thanks in advance.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Hi Naomi !

Can you please confirm this one more time as i am able to see the thread using Firefox and Chrome with OS Win 7.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

Sunday, December 2, 2012 7:48 PM

All replies

• In this message http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/transactsql/thread/8c444104-062e-47b8-8ea5-b27707a35a5d the thread link uses old style and therefore produces an error. Is it possible to fix the link reference?

Thanks.

My blog

Hi Naomi !

I am able to open links from Arnie Rowland both threads. Using Firefox.

Please let me know if this doesn’t work for you. Hope I have answered you correctly.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

Thursday, November 29, 2012 5:57 AM
  • I got

Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly. 

Requested URL: /error/error404.aspx

In Google Chrome.

Let me now check in FireFox and IE. This is for the reference in his first message.

My blog

Thursday, November 29, 2012 12:55 PM
  • I tried in IE (where it worked) and in FireFox (where I got the same error). I also tried in Opera and it worked there too.

So, for me it didn't work in Google Chrome (my primary browser) and in FireFox.

My blog

Thursday, November 29, 2012 12:59 PM
  • I tried in IE (where it worked) and in FireFox (where I got the same error). I also tried in Opera and it worked there too.

So, for me it didn't work in Google Chrome (my primary browser) and in FireFox.

My blog

Hi Naomi !

Just to confirm, now surprisingly i have got the same error message using Firefox for reply "Check out this thread for ideas for both SQL 2000 and SQL 2005." while in the morning i was able to see the web page without any error messages.

I will further investigate on this.

Update : Now when i click the thread link from this reply i am again able to see the web page.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

Thursday, November 29, 2012 1:12 PM
  • In Google Chrome and FireFox I get only the error.

My blog

Thursday, November 29, 2012 1:27 PM

• Requested URL: /error/error404.aspx

That's an example of where you need a trace.  This diagnostic is only uselessly showing you that there was a problem but not showing you why.   You need to go back to the preceding request to figure out why a 404 was given.

---

Friday, November 30, 2012 7:07 PM
  • Robert,

Can you please figure this out and tell the exact steps needed to be used in FireFox and Google Chrome to find out the info?

Thanks in advance.

My blog

Friday, November 30, 2012 7:57 PM
  • Robert,

Thanks in advance.

My blog

Hi Naomi !

Can you please confirm this one more time as i am able to see the thread using Firefox and Chrome with OS Win 7.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

Sunday, December 2, 2012 7:48 PM
  • i am able to see the thread using Firefox and Chrome with OS Win 7.

@ Niaz

Can you answer Naomi's question about tracing in the other browsers?   FWIW I only use IE.

I hope you agree that the symptom description so far is inadequate and you need to give some indication of what the initial request was that caused the 404?    However, I would have guessed that surely you would have some server logs which would show that anyway provided sufficient identification in terms of timestamp was provided?  So perhaps there is a way of giving that information more easily than by tracing?   Cookie data or something?   In fact, if the problem is intermittent and not easily reproduced you need to have something precise, simple, and an alternative to tracing anyway because there won't be many people willing to be running tracing all the time just in the off chance that they will be able to capture enough info for you to supplement their external symptom description.

Robert
    ---

Sunday, December 2, 2012 8:46 PM
  • I re-tried right now with Google Chrome and it worked this time. Let's assume something got fixed in the way forums redirection works and not spend more time on this issue.

My blog

Sunday, December 2, 2012 8:57 PM