Remote Access to External Storage Device RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I operate a small business out of my home office and want to set up a home server to cope with increasing staff levels and multiples of laptops/file sharing issues and so on.

I understand it's possible to do this simply by telling one of the PC's at home to allow remote access, however I'm not too keen on leaving the PC on 24/7 and also my wireless network wouldn't be too reliable.

I understand that it's possible to get an external drive that would plug via cable into the back of my wireless broadband router and operate as a shared drive on each laptop, once dialled in to.

I've looked through various online resources but a lot of the comparative articles etc (e.g. PC World) are from some time back.  I would greatly appreciate it if someone could firstly provide an opinion on the most appropriate solution to my needs, and also an opinion on what is a good/reliable brand as I wouldn't be familiar enough to make a call from the vendor sites.  For instance, LaCie website and product seems very good, but reviews & forum threads seem to slate them!!

Thanks in advance,

Alan.

Friday, May 16, 2008 11:53 AM

Answers

• This being the Windows Home Server forum, I would recommend you look at Windows Home Server. Smile Either buy a unit from someone like HP, or build your own.

This would get you remote access to any PCs that are A) joined to the server, B) running an appropriate (i.e. business) SKU of Vista or XP, and C) are turned on. You would also have a web site which would allow you secure access to files in the server's shares while on the road, and you would have an efficient, fast automated backup tool for joined PCs.
    Friday, May 16, 2008 12:38 PM

All replies

• This being the Windows Home Server forum, I would recommend you look at Windows Home Server. Smile Either buy a unit from someone like HP, or build your own.

This would get you remote access to any PCs that are A) joined to the server, B) running an appropriate (i.e. business) SKU of Vista or XP, and C) are turned on. You would also have a web site which would allow you secure access to files in the server's shares while on the road, and you would have an efficient, fast automated backup tool for joined PCs.
    Friday, May 16, 2008 12:38 PM
  • Excellent thanks.

I hope the forum post highlighted the total lack of knowledge and need for help Smile

Alan

Friday, May 16, 2008 1:17 PM
  • That's who Windows Home Server is aimed at. People who need web access, Network file sharing and reliable PC backups that are not "Techno-Geeks"

It has one major flaw at the moment so I would wait until the OEMs have the fix from MS before buying one.

Friday, May 16, 2008 4:47 PM