Windows XP SP3 Activation Loop after Fresh install RRS feed

• Question

• On my laptop I had windows Vista, but I decided to install XP SP3 for better compatibility with some programs. At University they give us Windows Licences so I got mine from there.

I put the CD in, I did a fresh install, entered my CD-key (given by the University), then on the last restart I get the following message:

" This copy of Windows must be activated before you can log in. Activate Windows now?"
    And I have two options: "Yes" and "No"

At first I clicked "No", then the "log off" window appeard (the one that says "saving your settings") then the First message appeared again:

" This copy of Windows must be activated before you can log in. Activate Windows now?"
    And I have two options: "Yes" and "No"

This time I pressed "Yes" but, surprisingly, it acted as if I presses "NO", i.e. the log off windowm and back to the error message.

I noticed the system was in a loop no matter what I did. Even Ctrl+Alt+Del didn't work.

I suspect Windows did not install drivers for the network card (Broadcom 10/100), so it had no internet connection, and therefore the activation failed. I have the drivers, but without being logged in I have no idea how to install them.

This being said, I rebooted the computer on Linux and came here to post this message. (Good idea to have at least one working OS on the computer)

So, how do I go around to solve this problem? Because the "Genuine Advantage" turned into "Genuine DIS-advantaje" for me with this new XP SP3.

Alex.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 7:38 AM

Answers

• I figured it out:

I re-formatted the partition and re-installed, but this time, I DID NOT PUT A CD-KEY, and it worked very well. I think there is a bug in SP3, that if the user put's the cd-key it will enter this activation loop.

so the solution is:

DO NOT put the cd-key during install, just press Next, and then "No" when prompted for a cd-key.

Alex.
    • Marked as answer by Alecz20 Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:34 AM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:34 AM

All replies

• Hello Alecz20,

You wrote, "Because the "Genuine Advantage" turned into "Genuine DIS-advantaje" for me with this new XP SP3."

You are having a problem with Windows Product Activation, not the Windows Genuine Advantage program.  WGA is not even installed on your computer yet.

Try a repair reinstallation to fix whatever got bollixed up the first time.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, July 24, 2009 3:35 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Alecz20 Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:34 AM
    Friday, July 24, 2009 2:19 PM

• I figured it out:

I re-formatted the partition and re-installed, but this time, I DID NOT PUT A CD-KEY, and it worked very well. I think there is a bug in SP3, that if the user put's the cd-key it will enter this activation loop.

so the solution is:

DO NOT put the cd-key during install, just press Next, and then "No" when prompted for a cd-key.

Alex.
    • Marked as answer by Alecz20 Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:34 AM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:34 AM