Http 407 error code RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I met with Http 407 error code when accessing some web site from my client application.

I read some description from,

http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E407.html

My confusions are,

1. what is the proxy in the context? the proxy server which we setup in our IE Http connection settings?

2. we always do authentication with the web site -- so two parties client and web site, why proxy involves?

thanks in advance,
    George

• Moved by Michael Sun [MSFT]Microsoft employee Thursday, September 25, 2008 7:31 AM Off Topic for Visual C# General (Moved from Visual C# General to Off-Topic Posts (Do Not Post Here))
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 8:00 AM

Answers

• Hi George,

The HTTP 407 code only applies to users who are accessing the Internet behind a proxy server. This is common in government and corporate workplaces. The 407 code indicates that your computer must first authenticate itself with your company's proxy server.  It may be possible that the proxy server does not allow downloads of specific files (exe, cab, com). You can also verify that your proxy server settings are valid.

Thanks

Vijay Mullick Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    • Proposed as answer by Vijay Mullick Friday, October 24, 2008 8:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vijay Mullick Monday, November 10, 2008 1:03 PM
    Friday, October 24, 2008 8:58 AM