Off Topic:Windows Install errors 1601, 1607, etc. RRS feed

• General discussion

• This is my first post, so I hope I'm able to explain my situation well enough for someone to help.

As recently as about 2 months ago, I was able to install new software onto my laptop with no problems whatsoever (Microsoft's Age of Empires was the last one, I believe). Just this week, I have noticed that I can no longer install anything because of some Windows install problems that I have developed.

I have tried updating my virus scanning software and doing a deep scan over my machine and then shutting down all processes that are running in the background, etc before I try to install and it still won't work.

I am getting a number of different messages, depending on the software I try to install, but these are a couple of them:

1601: The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

1607: Unable to Install InstallShield Scripting Runtime

The wizard was interrupted. Install Paradox 10 Runtime.

I saw some "fixes" listed in the InstallShield and Microsoft websites, but obviously, I can't install any programs designed to help me troubleshoot install errors because I'm having install errors!!

This problem is really killing my ability to get my work done since this laptop is my backup for my desktop, which is down with bigger problems than I would be able to fix, no matter how much help I got on this website.

HELP!

I have a Toshiba Satellite M105-S3004 with an Intel T2300 1.66 GHz processor and 1GB of RAM running Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 with Service Pack 3 and a 93 GB hard disk that is only 25% full.  I bought it off the shelf as a discounted display model clearance item (it was the last one) from a Staples office supply store in the summer of 2006.

I think maybe the last couple of things that I installed were the Microsoft Silverlight media player and the newest Windows Live stuff, if that helps...
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 1:04 AM

All replies