XP Pro OEM Software - Transfer Machine RRS feed

• Question

• anybody?

sometime late 2006, i bought a laptop and an OS separately but unfortunately i was not aware (during those time) that the OS given to me was an OEM License which you cannot transfer to another pc because as i have read it here it is married to that machine, but now that laptop has deteriorated so much that i have to buy a new one which i do have now (i never thought of how much complications it wil give me - i should have bought a laptop with pre-installed os) and im thinking of transferring that license to the new one, do you think it will still work or not?

Please help, thanks

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 11:03 AM

Answers

• "Owel Dv" wrote in message news:b644cd99-908e-4b43-98af-4d14f2cda5e8...

anybody?

sometime late 2006, i bought a laptop and an OS separately but unfortunately i was not aware (during those time) that the OS given to me was an OEM License which you cannot transfer to another pc because as i have read it here it is married to that machine, but now that laptop has deteriorated so much that i have to buy a new one which i do have now (i never thought of how much complications it wil give me - i should have bought a laptop with pre-installed os) and im thinking of transferring that license to the new one, do you think it will still work or not?

Please help, thanks

No - it won't.
    OEM Licenses CANNOT be transferred to a new computer for any reason.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 11:51 AM
  • Unfortunately, when a computer with an OEM version of Windows dies, so does the OEM Windows license.  Therefore, one cannot install and activate an OEM version of Windows on a different computer once it has been installed and activated on the original computer.
    Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 12:53 PM

All replies

• "Owel Dv" wrote in message news:b644cd99-908e-4b43-98af-4d14f2cda5e8...

anybody?

Please help, thanks

No - it won't.
    OEM Licenses CANNOT be transferred to a new computer for any reason.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 11:51 AM
  • Unfortunately, when a computer with an OEM version of Windows dies, so does the OEM Windows license.  Therefore, one cannot install and activate an OEM version of Windows on a different computer once it has been installed and activated on the original computer.
    Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 12:53 PM