Hard Drive Questions RRS feed

• Question

• I have a couple of questions about external hard drives. I tried looking threw previous posts regarding external hard drives but I'm new to all of this and I don't really understand all that jargon. I had originally said to myself, "self, I am only going to use home server to share files and connect all the computers in my home." I said this because I have no more slots for any more hard drives. Currently I only have one drive for the entire setup. But now I want to take advantage of the backup features.

If I buy two 500GB USB external hard drives and attach them to the server will they work? Is it better to have two 500GB than a single one TB hard drive. Will it be ok if its USB?

Also if I start backing things up, will it get messed up by this 'bug' everyone keeps talking about? And I am one for extreme organization, will the backup process be organized... What will go onto those drives, just the backups?

Thanks for any input you can provide!

John McKNIGHT

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 9:49 AM

Answers

• John, there are several technical briefs on the Microsoft Windows Home Server support page; I am going to recommend that you read the Drive Extender and Home Computer Backup briefs at a minimum. They will answer many of your questions, as well as questions that you will have that will follow on to your current ones. Smile
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 12:06 PM

All replies

• John, there are several technical briefs on the Microsoft Windows Home Server support page; I am going to recommend that you read the Drive Extender and Home Computer Backup briefs at a minimum. They will answer many of your questions, as well as questions that you will have that will follow on to your current ones. Smile
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 12:06 PM
  • One drive shouldn't have the corruption bug.. though we don't know quite yet. The backup of the shared folders is a feature of Powerpack 1, which also features a fix to said corruption bug Smile

It really all depends on how much data you have. If you have a shared folder with more than 500 GB of data, you'd probably want a drive more than 500 GB to hold it. USB 2.0 isn't terribly fast, so you don't want to do continuous backups.
    Connect your external drives once, run the backup, put it in storage until the next week / month (whatever your comfort level for backups is).

Note: PP1's external backups are for the Shared Folders only. The client backup database itself was a planned feature, but it was dropped due to problems.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 7:21 PM
  • I would invest in another case that can house additional harddrives.  External drives to USB connection would not be my preferred choice for permanent data storage.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 2:21 AM