WHS 2011 Need to safely disconnect USB backup drive? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

In WHS v1 I had to disconnect my external USB backup drive when taking it off-site. In WHS 2011 should I disconnect it before unplugging it? Or is it fine to simply disconnect it from the system? What is the best practice? Thanks.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:49 PM

All replies

• Run the Backup Wizard and turn off backups and then for safety just shut down your server and remove the drive. You can then connect another drive (or reconnect the original) and run through the Server setup process again.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:06 PM
  • Run the Backup Wizard and turn off backups and then for safety just shut down your server and remove the drive. You can then connect another drive (or reconnect the original) and run through the Server setup process again.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Are you sure?   This really doesn't make sense.   If you have 2-3 drives that you want to rotate between for backups (eg every day or two), then I can't see your process being realistic.  Surely you shouldn't have to shut down the server just to remove a USB drive.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:49 PM
  • It should be safe to unplug a drive at just about any time, since drives seen as removable by the OS (disks in caddies/trays may not be seen as "removable" even if hot plug is supported) are configured for fast removal by Windows Home Server. Don't do so when your server is actively writing/reading the disk, of course. And some drives don't support hot plug (though in theory all USB drives should).

In Windows Home Server V1 there was a requirement to "temporarily remove" a backup drive using the console because the server would panic if you simply disconnected it (it would show as missing and generate alerts). But it was actually safe from a data safety perspective to disconnect it.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:32 PM
  • Are you sure?   This really doesn't make sense.   If you have 2-3 drives that you want to rotate between for backups (eg every day or two), then I can't see your process being realistic.  Surely you shouldn't have to shut down the server just to remove a USB drive.
    Belt and braces. There is no formal way to "eject" the drive from the Dashboard. As I said above "..for safety", but you would probably OK just unplugging.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:46 PM
  • As greenglo noted, WHS v1 behaves differently from WHS 2011.

In WHS v1, once the server backup is complete, then I simply select the external drive and click “Remove drive”. WHS V1 will ask if I want to remove the drive temporarily or permanently and I select the “temporary” option. The disc is then safely dismounted from the system, and it can be returned to its offsite location.

In WHS 2011, if I select an external drive, I don’t get a choice to remove it temporarily, the only option shown is to remove it permanently from the server backup. Choosing this starts the “Customise Server Backup” wizard, which I find somewhat confusing. I’m not trying to customise the server backup – I want to remove the drive… It turns out that the only way to temporarily remove a drive seems to be to yank out the cable. I suppose I’m set in my ways, but I always prefer to safely eject media (as WHS V1 allows me to do).

Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:19 PM