Office 2007 student migrate to New Computer RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello,

    I Just got a new computer, and it already MS Offcie installed, I have  a valid genuine office 2007 student edition, and in my house hold its still running on 2 computers and one of them is my old computer which im about to format and sell.

    I know that i have license for 3 computers, however I dont want to use the third license on the new computer, when im not gonna use my old computer again.

    So my question is: Is there a way to get the second license to work in my new computer and delete the license from the old one? so I could still have the third license available for future use.


    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:27 PM


  • Hello alecantu7,

    You should be able to do what you want to do without problems.  There is no way to "un-activate" Windows or Office installations.  Instead, the logic model is one that assumes what is current now is what you want to do.  So when you're done, you will have two activated installations of Office 2007 H&S and one more available as needed.

    1.  On the computer that's being sold, uninstall Office 2007 H&S before you do the format (recommended when selling a computer) as you mentioned.

    2.  On the new computer, use the Add or Remove Programs applet (XP) or the Programs applet (Vista) in Control Panel to uninstall whatever trial of Office came on the new computer.  Restart.

    3.  On the new computer, install Office 2007 H&S from your genuine hologrammed program CDs.  Activate normally.  Validate at www.microsoft.com/genuine normally.  Use Windows/Microsoft Updates to update Office to SP2 plus any additional updates.

    4.  You're done! :-)
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by alecantu7 Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:55 PM
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:50 PM