none
Where to get solution for "The RPC server is unavailable"

Question

• On my Windows XP Pro PC I installed a new CMOS button battery.  The result is my PC is almost useless.  Although it boots up and shows the Desktop as before, most MS things will not work (now I can not Copy, Cut, Paste, Move, see Properties, Open or Run most MS things and much more).  Many non-MS programs DO work.  When I checked the specifications it says "The RPC server is unavailable"...  So it seems clear that in the 5 seconds it took to insert the new battery that this vital RPC was stopped, and that has wrecked most everything.

[Note: The Time & Date of course needed resetting after the battery change, but that is the one thing I've been able to repair, so I do not need help with that.]

I have been going through the ANSWERS.MICROSOFT.COM forums for help, and I see there are MANY "RPC-Unavailable" questions and MANY "solutions".  I have tried many, many of these solutions but none work... that is, I think they might work IF the RPC was already running, but they do not work on my PC where the RPC is not running.  [For instance, one solution is to go to Services, right-click the RPC, open Properties and click Automatic... but I can not open any Properties.  However, I was able to click "Start"... but it would not start.]

Believe me, I have tried MANY other things, including trying to Repair my Net Framework 3.5... that Failed.  Then downloaded (Firefox still works, though IE does not) the Net Framework 3.5 and tried to reinstall... that Failed, too.  I tried "System Restore" but that would not work.  I even inserted my WinXP install disk, set for Boot from CD, and while it said it was booting from CD it simply ignored the disk and booted normally (to the "RPC unavailable" OS).  And I have tried many of these "solutions" in all 3 Safe Modes to no avail.

Can you please suggest which Forum can truly help with this problem?  Thanks very much!

Sunday, March 15, 2015 1:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• For general windows help you can ask them over here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp?sort=lastreplydate&dir=desc&tab=Threads&status=&mod=&modAge=&advFil=&postedAfter=&postedBefore=&threadType=All&tm=1426386741617

Since this was triggered from hardware issues you might try the desktop manufacturer forums as well.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, March 15, 2015 2:34 AM
  • Dave Patrick, Thank you very much for your response.  But...

As I said, I have already been combing through that forum with no success.  I posted my question there on March 11 and received only one answer which unfortunately was not at all helpful.  That's why I hoped you could direct me to some better source for help.

Also, I don't understand your last comment: "Since this was triggered from hardware issues you might try the desktop manufacturer forums as well."  I thought it was strictly from the MS OS software.  Do you mean the RPC stuff is in the ROM, BIOS or motherboard and so I should hunt a non-MS forum, maybe Dell, or the battery manufacturer?

Please forgive my probably dumb questions; most of this is over my head so I really crave some help.

Note:  If you look at the answers.microsoft.com forums you see that this RPC problem goes back many years, and I've seen none attributing it to a new button battery... many different causes, apparently.  And, as I said, none of the many "solutions" I've tried have worked.  It just seems to me that after all these years of this problem that surely SOME real solution exists by now.  Where, oh where can I find it? 

Sunday, March 15, 2015 4:23 AM
  • As a result of the dead battery the cmos setup is probably default which may not be correct. The pc manufacturer (forums) should know the correct setup which is why I suggested asking there.

If you think it is simply the OS needs repair then I'd integrate the service pack and do the in-place upgrade. (or better yet is clean install it)

http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-slipstream-service-pack-windows-os-install-cd

http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/978788

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, March 15, 2015 1:19 PM