WHS v1. Can't access Webpage or FTP remotely!! ATT U-Verse RRS feed

• Question

• I have ATT u-verse. WHS v1. Inside WHS Settings state that Webpage can be access remotely. When I try to access remotely https://xxxxx.homeserver.com I get a timeout error. I have opened all ports required within my att u-verse router (nvg510) and still nothing. I can ping name and address just can not IE to it. Please help. I also installed the default WHS ftp and I can get to it within my network ftp://192.168.1.115 but can't access remote.
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 5:29 AM

All replies

• Please test again from a location other than your home; your router probably doesn't support this type of connection internally.
    ... I also installed the default WHS ftp and I can get to it within my network ftp://192.168.1.115 but can't access remote.
    There is no "default WHS FTP" server; Windows Home Server doesn't support FTP without adding it from the server's desktop (which is technically unsupported). That said, test from outside your home network as above. If it still doesn't work, you will probably have to modify either your server's firewall settings, or your router's, or both.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, August 26, 2012 5:46 PM
  • Ken you are a Genesis even if you're not on the WHS team. That was exactly the problem. I never thought to look and see it someone can access from outside. You get so could up in trying to fix something you don't think to look at simple things. Second you say there is no default WHS ftp. If I go under IIS details I see one. I activated it and under IIS Manager I can see Default FTP. I can also access it from my network. ftp://192.168.1.115. I also tried to install Filezilla server with no luck. Keep getting error "Failed to create listen socket on port 21 for IPv4
    Failed to create listen socket on port 21 for IPv6
    Failed to create a listen socket on any of the specified ports. Server is not online!"

Jake Byrd

Sunday, August 26, 2012 9:47 PM
  • ... Second you say there is no default WHS ftp. If I go under IIS details I see one. I activated it and under IIS Manager I can see Default FTP. ...

Nothing you do on the server's desktop is "supported", technically. The only functionality that's supported for day to day operation of the server is that which is available through the console. So FTP is "unsupported", and there is no "default", because Microsoft doesn't configure FTP. For good reason, I might add, since the FTP protocol is known to have security holes a mile wide (just for one, the control protocol, over which all authentication occurs, is un-encrypted Telnet, i.e. plain text). The Remote Access web site works over HTTPS using SSL, and is much more secure.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, August 26, 2012 11:43 PM