none
error code oxc004f055 RRS feed

• Question

• My computer does not allow me to access any programs or existing documents/files - it boots up and gets me to the sign on page - when I sign on to my account ( or the secondary account on my computer - I have tried both ) using my password - I immediately gives me  a pop up which states ' windows activaction error - code oxc004f055. All it states is that the there is software license problem because the base sku is not available.

This box appears and does not allow me to go any further. There is no start button /to my computer or any of my other programs available on my screen. The only reason I can get to the internet is because the error box does say I can get help from either dell or windows support and allows me to link to your website. I can go to any website but that is the only thing I can access

the rest of the screen is blank behing the error pop up.
    I have had dell run a hardware diagnostic and all seems fine with the hardware. I have the original windows disk but it does nothing when I insert it into the drive and as I mentioned I no longer have the start button appearing on my computer to allow me to do anything with it.
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 12:59 AM

Answers

• Hello mississaugacomputer geek,

Computers, which are built by large manufactures that come with Vista Pre-Installed, come with two (2) Product Keys:

A)   OEM SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Vista, when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the special instructions found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Vista was installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Vista looks at the motherboard and sees the special instructions and Self-Activates. (that's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home)

B)    COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side (or bottom) of your computer. It is a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations. The key must be activated by Phone. (Note: All manufacturers that use the OEM SLP system are required by contract to include a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker, that has a COA SLP key, on the computer)

Your Vista is using an OEM SLP key, but (for whatever reason) cannot see the special instructions in the computer’s motherboard and is unable to Self-Activate.

To fix the issue, you will need to change out the OEM SLP key with the COA SLP key.  The normal way to do this is to click the ‘Start’ button, right-click ‘Computer’, select ‘Properties’ and then click ‘Change Product Key’ (located in the lower right-hand side of the window). Enter the COA SLP key and follow the instructions in the Change Product Key Wizard.

Alternate steps to change the product key

1)    Click the Start button

2)    Type: slui.exe 3 and hit the Enter key

3)    Type in the Product key from the sticker on your computer

4)    Click the Next button.

5)    You will be asked if want to Activate, click ok

6)    It will attempt to Activate by the internet and will return an Invalid Key error (this is ok, continue to step 7)

7)    Click the Start button

8)    Type: slui.exe 4 and hit the Enter key

9)    Select your location in the drop down menu and click the Next button

10) The next screen provides the number to call to Activate by Phone

NOTE: when you call that number, you will first hear an Automated Voice. If the Automated Voice gives you an option to talk to a Live Activation Rep., select that option. If not, do not enter any numbers. This should force the Automated Voice to transfer you to a Live Activation Rep. Trying to Activate thru the Automated Voice will not work, in your case; only thru the Live Activation Rep. will your Activation be successful.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

p.s.  Please Note that the Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 on your PC was installed using a Volume License Key that belonged to an Orginization that reported to Microsoft that the key was either lost, stolen or leaked to the internet.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, November 5, 2009 9:02 PM
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 8:57 PM

All replies

• This box appears and does not allow me to go any further. There is no start button /to my computer or any of my other programs available on my screen. The only reason I can get to the internet is because the error box does say I can get help from either dell or windows support and allows me to link to your website. I can go to any website but that is the only thing I can access

If you do not have access to the Start Button:

1)    Login to Vista and click the option that brings up Internet Explorer.

2)    Type: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 into the browser address bar.

3)    A window will come up asking if you want to “Run” or “Save”, Select “Run”

4)    When the program runs, click the “Continue” button, then click the “Copy” button.

5)    Return to this thread http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/b652b7d0-5551-450d-a57f-5158d6699d68 .

6)    In a reply post, paste the Diagnostic Report.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 6:10 PM

• here is the diagnostic report - pls note I dont' know why it's saying it's invalid - I have been using it for 16 months - came with the computer from Dell and I have the cd.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Validation Code: 50

Cached Validation Code: 0xc004c4a8
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-4WD8X-M9WM7-CH4CG
    Windows Product Key Hash: EkdqJZ28Y9zyrh7DU/lHNjTXlQY=
    Windows Product ID: 89572-OEM-7332166-00096
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.002
    ID: {42572B79-BACF-423B-9BBB-063FB87BC108}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Basic
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6001.vistasp1_gdr.090805-0102
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 6.0.6002.16398

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 103 Blocked VLK
    Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 - 103 Blocked VLK
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{42572B79-BACF-423B-9BBB-063FB87BC108}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.002</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-CH4CG</PKey><PID>89572-OEM-7332166-00096</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-264218366-1851574592-2733376383</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>Inspiron 530</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>1.0.13</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="5"/><Date>20080320000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>AD313507018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>1009</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>DELL  </OEMID><OEMTableID>FX09   </OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>103</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>103</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>ACD7202654E586</Val><Hash>fFic3JgCreGGRxyF8uMWB4R4Jcg=</Hash><Pid>89388-707-1528066-65949</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="44" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="A1" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="BA" Version="12" Result="103"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    Software licensing service version: 6.0.6001.18000

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: NAAAAAEABAABAAEAAQABAAAAAgABAAEAJJTgHkZv8nu2WWT+iP3UuexQ8vREJfAbrFYqhQ==

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes
    Windows marker version: 0x20000
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name OEMID Value OEMTableID Value
      APIC   DELL    FX09  
      FACP   DELL    FX09  
      HPET   DELL    FX09  
      MCFG   DELL    FX09  
      SLIC   DELL    FX09  
      DMY2   DELL    FX09  
      SSDT   PmRef  CpuPm

Thursday, November 5, 2009 2:17 AM

Computers, which are built by large manufactures that come with Vista Pre-Installed, come with two (2) Product Keys:

A)   OEM SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Vista, when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the special instructions found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Vista was installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Vista looks at the motherboard and sees the special instructions and Self-Activates. (that's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home)

B)    COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side (or bottom) of your computer. It is a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations. The key must be activated by Phone. (Note: All manufacturers that use the OEM SLP system are required by contract to include a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker, that has a COA SLP key, on the computer)

Your Vista is using an OEM SLP key, but (for whatever reason) cannot see the special instructions in the computer’s motherboard and is unable to Self-Activate.

To fix the issue, you will need to change out the OEM SLP key with the COA SLP key.  The normal way to do this is to click the ‘Start’ button, right-click ‘Computer’, select ‘Properties’ and then click ‘Change Product Key’ (located in the lower right-hand side of the window). Enter the COA SLP key and follow the instructions in the Change Product Key Wizard.

Alternate steps to change the product key

1)    Click the Start button

2)    Type: slui.exe 3 and hit the Enter key

3)    Type in the Product key from the sticker on your computer

4)    Click the Next button.

5)    You will be asked if want to Activate, click ok

6)    It will attempt to Activate by the internet and will return an Invalid Key error (this is ok, continue to step 7)

7)    Click the Start button

8)    Type: slui.exe 4 and hit the Enter key

9)    Select your location in the drop down menu and click the Next button

10) The next screen provides the number to call to Activate by Phone

NOTE: when you call that number, you will first hear an Automated Voice. If the Automated Voice gives you an option to talk to a Live Activation Rep., select that option. If not, do not enter any numbers. This should force the Automated Voice to transfer you to a Live Activation Rep. Trying to Activate thru the Automated Voice will not work, in your case; only thru the Live Activation Rep. will your Activation be successful.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

p.s.  Please Note that the Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 on your PC was installed using a Volume License Key that belonged to an Orginization that reported to Microsoft that the key was either lost, stolen or leaked to the internet.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, November 5, 2009 9:02 PM
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 8:57 PM

• thank-you for your reply Darin but in both cases your solution requires me to be able to access the 'start' button on my computer . As indicated in my thread - this is not available for - I cannot get to any program/application including the start button on my computer.
    Is there no way for me to do this activation thru the internet or directly with someone on the phone ( without using the start button)
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 10:22 PM
  • Darin - please see thread below - the solution you provided after reading my diagnostic - ONCE again requires me to be able to access the start menu - I cannot do this?
    Is there no way to do this thru the internet or thru phone support?
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 2:50 PM
  • Hi I am been posting an issue with my windows activation . When I start my computer I go my sign  on and once signed on - I get the above error message. If you check the thread I have posted the diagnostic report but once again the only solution that keeps getting presented requires me to be able to get o the start button on my computer. I cannot access the start menu - it is not available for me. Is there any other solution - thru the phone or thru the internet for my problem? See attached thread

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/genuinevista/thread/b652b7d0-5551-450d-a57f-5158d6699d68
    • Merged by Darin Smith MS Thursday, November 19, 2009 10:34 PM same issue
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 10:16 PM

It is very unusual for Product Activation related issues to trigger a Reduced Functionality Mode (i.e. the black background, no Start button, no Task Bar and so on)  This is why alternate steps (for when the Start Button is unavailable) were not provided by default.

Because of this Reduced Functionality Mode, I believe you may have a deeper issue.  Please try the below steps to correct a corrupt Licensing Store.

1) Click the option that opens an Internet Browser window.
    2) Type: %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.
    3) Find the file CMD.exe
    4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'
    5) Type: net stop slsvc  (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
    6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing
    7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
    8) Type: cd %windir%\system32
    9) Type: net start slsvc
    10) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)
    11) Restart your computer twice.
    12) You may be required to enter the Product Key and/or Activate.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, November 9, 2009 10:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:55 PM
    Monday, November 9, 2009 10:54 PM