Trying to transfer Money2000 from ext hd to Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• My motherboard crashed but I have put the hard drive into an external case and am trying to get my money files transferred to new computer.  I have loaded Money2000 on to new computer with original cd.  I can find mny files on the ext drive but can't transfer them to new drive.  I have tried drag and drop.  I have tried to transfer the files to a flash drive and can't seem to figure that out.  It's not just money but other programs and files that I can't transfer.  Someone already did the Easy File Transfer for me.  That doesn't do everything.If someone has any answers please give me step by step because I'm a novice at this.  Thanks.

Sunday, July 24, 2011 7:54 PM

All replies

1. Close Money.
    2. Open Windows Explorer (WindowsKey+E is one way to do that)
    3. Browse to your *.mny file on the old drive. Right-click and choose Copy.
    4. Browse to your Documents folder on the new drive.., Right-click and choose Paste.
    5. Right-click the copied file Documents folder, and choose Open. That should launch Money.
    6. Once inside, Tools->Options->Backup to set the backups to a place that exists on the new computer. Consider your backup strategy. Be glad that your old hard drive did not crash. Next time you may not be so lucky.

If things do not go as you expect, identify what step the problem occured. Identify the actual error message.

Sunday, July 24, 2011 8:16 PM
  • You need to take ownership of the files on the external drive.

Right click on the drive in Windows Explorer, select Properties, then the Security tab and give your user name Full Control over the drive.

Make sure the permissions are propagated down the whole of the drive.

Monday, July 25, 2011 7:09 AM
  • When I get to number 4 and try to paste I get a window saying "This destination already contains a folder named Microsoft Money.  Also asks if I want to merge Microsoft Money created 7/25/2011 with Microsoft Money created 10/6/2007.

If I right click on Microsoft Money in documents library and open I get names of Microsoft Money file folders.  It seems like they transferred for me but I'm not able to get them into the actual Money program.  Maybe I need to delete all the files in the new computer and start from scratch.  What do you think?

Monday, July 25, 2011 11:29 PM
  • When I get to number 4 and try to paste I get a window saying "This destination already contains a folder named Microsoft Money.  Also asks if I want to merge Microsoft Money created 7/25/2011 with Microsoft Money created 10/6/2007.

If I right click on Microsoft Money in documents library and open I get names of Microsoft Money file folders.  It seems like they transferred for me but I'm not able to get them into the actual Money program.  Maybe I need to delete all the files in the new computer and start from scratch.  What do you think?

No need to start over with your Money install.

When you did step 3, you should have right-clicked a single file -- not a folder.

I think I know what may have contributed to the problem. Go back to Windows Explorer (step 2). Click Tools->FolderOptions->View and un-tick (remove check mark on) the HideExtensionForKnownFileTypes. Click OK. That way you will be able to see the actual .mny part of the filename. That will make it clear what is a *.mny file and what is a folder.

Then return to step 3  etc. You should not be inside ProgramFiles at all.

When you paste in step 4, you are only pasting a single file into your Documents folder.

Monday, July 25, 2011 11:50 PM
  • THANK YOU!!!  THANK YOU!!!  THANK YOU!!!   I'm sending you a virtual hug.  I got Money back and now I'm going to Carbonite.  I learned my lesson.  mThanks again.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:02 AM