none
70-640 Help RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I am looking at eventually taking the 70-640 exam.  My current employer is paying for me to take a course to help me along the way.  I plan on taking a course at our local New Horizions IT Training Center.  I'm a bit confused on what course to take.  I have a little bit of expierence with AD at work... basically reseting passwords and unlocking accounts - but not much more than this. 

I found this course and it sounds close to what I need to prep for this exam.  What do you think?

http://www.newhorizonsdm.com/LocalWeb/popup/ClassInfo.aspx?CourseKey=200013497&GroupID=370

It doesn't really provide any pre-requisites in the class description.  Is this the first step course?  Is there anything this course will assume I already know?  Also, in preperation for this exam will there be other courses/reading I should look into or will this course be enough prep for the exam.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Little more info about me.  I currently do not have any Microsoft Certifications.  Is this a good cert to get for someone who doesn't have any yet?  Is there any particular cert that is common for someone to get first?
    • Edited by Ryan McC Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:50 PM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:47 PM

Answers

• If you look at what is required here

You can see that there is quite a lot of ground covered with regard to AD configuration. The thing you need to ask is would you feel confident tackling the coursework? I read a good suggestion on another forum that certification was to prove you could do the job rather than a means to learning it. However there is no reason you could not learn it this way, but you really need the opportunity to put what you are learning into practice.

The first time I looked into the server exams I was in your shoes and I got out of my depth fast. Four years on (I also took 1.5 years out of IT for a break) and I am in a much better position regarding knowlege.

My suggestion to you is to purchase the learning kit book

link

and seehow you get on with it. This will be far cheaper than a 5 day course which will be pretty fast paced. You can pick these books up off Amazon for a lot cheaper than the list price BTW.

Good luck.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 1:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Ryan,

I can't really tell if this course is a good start for you, the overview looks nice but you should contact the training center and ask your questions.

Regarding you and your current certification status, it all depends on how far you want to go with certifiaction...

Taking only 70-640 will surly be beneficial but you should consider taking additional exams and acquire greater certfication level.

It would be best for you to visit the following LINK and decide for yourself, if you scroll all the way down you will see classroom training, e-learning material and press books for each exam.

Good luck on your path to certification!

Regards,

PuzzlePiece

• Proposed as answer by Martin Rasch Friday, March 23, 2012 7:21 AM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:45 PM
  • Hello,

What I would suggest is to visit the nearest prometric center personally. Discuss what is your need and then choose what is best for you. Since I think you need to pass other exams before appearing for 70-640

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:15 AM
  • If you look at what is required here

You can see that there is quite a lot of ground covered with regard to AD configuration. The thing you need to ask is would you feel confident tackling the coursework? I read a good suggestion on another forum that certification was to prove you could do the job rather than a means to learning it. However there is no reason you could not learn it this way, but you really need the opportunity to put what you are learning into practice.

The first time I looked into the server exams I was in your shoes and I got out of my depth fast. Four years on (I also took 1.5 years out of IT for a break) and I am in a much better position regarding knowlege.

My suggestion to you is to purchase the learning kit book

link

and seehow you get on with it. This will be far cheaper than a 5 day course which will be pretty fast paced. You can pick these books up off Amazon for a lot cheaper than the list price BTW.

Good luck.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Hello,

What I would suggest is to visit the nearest prometric center personally. Discuss what is your need and then choose what is best for you. Since I think you need to pass other exams before appearing for 70-640

Prometric won't know what the OP needs to do. 

People can sit exams in any order and there are no prerequisite exams that need to be completed before 70-640

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:43 PM