Retrieving Key Code RRS feed

• Question

• I have microsoft office in my old laptop and i just bought a new one.. any way to retrieve my key code off my old laptop?

Monday, October 4, 2010 5:05 PM

Answers

• Hello lpchick626,

If the Office installed on the old laptop was installed using a product purchased and downloaded directly from the Microsoft Store online, then just log onto your Microsoft Store account to see your product key.

If the Office installed on the old laptop is a retail license, the Product Key will be located with the product packaging.  Office XP and 2003 would have the product key printed on a yellow-orange sticker on the back of the CD jewel case or DVD-style disc case.  Office 2007 would have the product key printed on a yellow-orange sticker located on the pivoting disc tray inside the clear plastic rounded-corner case.

If the Office installed on the old laptop is an OEM license (it came preinstalled from the computer manufacturer and you paid extra for it), then unfortunately these installations of Office are not permitted by their End User Licensing Agreements (EULA) or Software Licensing Terms (SLTs) to be moved from the old computer to your new computer.

If you're not sure, on the old laptop follow these instructions and we can most likely tell what you have from the data in the report:

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Run" several times to download and start the Utility.  When asked, click the "Continue" button.  When the utility completes its run, click the "Copy" button, then come back here and paste the report into your post.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, October 11, 2010 10:45 PM
    Monday, October 4, 2010 5:24 PM

All replies

• Hello lpchick626,

If the Office installed on the old laptop was installed using a product purchased and downloaded directly from the Microsoft Store online, then just log onto your Microsoft Store account to see your product key.

If the Office installed on the old laptop is a retail license, the Product Key will be located with the product packaging.  Office XP and 2003 would have the product key printed on a yellow-orange sticker on the back of the CD jewel case or DVD-style disc case.  Office 2007 would have the product key printed on a yellow-orange sticker located on the pivoting disc tray inside the clear plastic rounded-corner case.

If the Office installed on the old laptop is an OEM license (it came preinstalled from the computer manufacturer and you paid extra for it), then unfortunately these installations of Office are not permitted by their End User Licensing Agreements (EULA) or Software Licensing Terms (SLTs) to be moved from the old computer to your new computer.

If you're not sure, on the old laptop follow these instructions and we can most likely tell what you have from the data in the report:

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Run" several times to download and start the Utility.  When asked, click the "Continue" button.  When the utility completes its run, click the "Copy" button, then come back here and paste the report into your post.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, October 11, 2010 10:45 PM
    Monday, October 4, 2010 5:24 PM
  • I have microsoft office in my old laptop and i just bought a new one.. any way to retrieve my key code off my old laptop?

Review Dan's post first then download and run key finder from www.magicaljellybean.com which will provide the Product Key for all installed Office program suite versions except for Office 2000.  If your Product ID (Help, About in your old version) has xxxxx-OEM-xxxx in it, then you have an OEM version and can't legally install it onto another computer.  Numerals in the OEM spot is a retail package and can be moved onto another computer.
    Monday, October 4, 2010 5:47 PM