Backing up to attached network storage RRS feed

• Question

• When i try to set up onecare to backup my computer (Vista home Premium 32bit) to a netgear 2bay network attached storage center (SC101T ) it currently has one 500GB (467) hard drive. i have used the software that netgear give me to attach the drive to my computer so that it see's the drive as another internal hard drive (given the letter " I "). I am able to move files to and from it without any problems from both my desktop (vista) and my laptop (Xp pro). When i try to specify the destination to backup to i click the "Add network location" then i browse and find the hard drive and the folder i made called "Back up" click ok and then it says "The network share name entered is invalid. Please check the share name and try again." i know that my computer see's the drive as an interal drive but i didn't see anywere in the setup in onecare that would let me back up to an internal hard drive. Any ideas on either how to use it as a network backup or how to setup onecare to backup to an internal drive?

Thank you.
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:55 AM

Answers

• OneCare does not see an internal drive as a valid destination for backup.

However, you can create a Share on an Internal drive, give rights to *Everyone* or *all users* - full rights to read/write/delete/etc. - and then configure Centralized Backup for all PCs in your Circle to use that location which is a Network Share location.

More information here: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2582583&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 12:48 PM