Microsoft Money not launching with Core i5-9400F RRS feed

• Question

• I just upgraded my PC's motherboard and CPU.  I changed my Intel Pentium G4600 for an Intel Core i5-9400F.  The upgrade all seems to have been fine apart from an issue with Microsoft Money.  When I launch the app it very quickly appears on screen and then closes, as if exiting.  I tried reinstalling and it has not resolved the issue.  My hunch is a problem caused by changing the CPU.  Is there anything I can do to either narrow down what the exact issue is, or resolve the problem so that the application runs as previously?
    • Edited by bud_fox30 Saturday, March 23, 2019 7:25 PM
    Saturday, March 23, 2019 4:37 PM

Answers

• Copy Sample.mny from your install folder (typically
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus\
    with 64-bit Windows) to your Documents folder.  Open Money
    by right-clicking that copy of sample.mny and choose Open.

Does that open?

• Marked as answer by bud_fox30 Monday, March 25, 2019 2:19 PM
    Monday, March 25, 2019 1:35 PM

All replies

• Did you change the hard drive?

Can you open Sample.mny successfully? If not, I would reinstall Microsoft Money via the second link in this forum. If using Money Sunset, also do the patch described in the first post in this forum.

Sunday, March 24, 2019 5:35 AM
  • To clarify;

• I was running money fine on latest version of windows 10.  
    • I removed my mobo and cpu (G4600) and installed a new mobo and cpu (i5-9400F)
    • Windows started up fine, no issues with any other software.
    • Money launches and closes in a blink of an eye.
    • Uninstalled money
    • Reinstalled from the same package that works fine on my i5 laptop.

With the variables being cpu and mobo my sense is this is somehow related to the change of cpu.

Sunday, March 24, 2019 8:57 AM
    • Reinstalled from the same package that works fine on my i5 laptop.

With the variables being cpu and mobo my sense is this is somehow related to the change of cpu.

What was that "package"? Mystery would be solved if you used a disk that says  "Microsoft Money" and says "copyright 2004". In that case, you would discard that disk, and use the appropriated install file via the second post in this forum.

Sunday, March 24, 2019 11:52 AM
  • The package was the single .exe named as Money2005-UK-QFE2  The same install used on my i5 laptop and previous G4600 desktop, both running latest windows 10.
    Sunday, March 24, 2019 4:14 PM
  • The package was the single .exe named as Money2005-UK-QFE2  The same install used on my i5 laptop and previous G4600 desktop, both running latest windows 10.

See if addressing "Controlled Folder Access" as described in https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2c79378b-755f-4963-bdfb-cc37d2aa6791/win-10-update-has-stopped-file-access-by-money-2002?forum=money

See the post by Geordie71. Let us know if that helps your symptom.

Also try this: Close Money. Move your *.mny file to your Documents folder, if it is not there already. Then open Money by right-clicking the *.mny file and choosing Open.

One more: Right-click the Money launch icon, and choose RunAsAdministrator.

Sunday, March 24, 2019 5:52 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I could understand trying these fixes had the application ceased to stop working on the previous setup.  However to confirm:

• Controlled folder access is off
    • The same outcome is seen no matter what folder the .mny folder is in
    • Running as Admin has the same effect. App flashes up on screen and closes with no residual exe or files persisting in memory.

I have reached out to Intel as this is a brand new CPU and the software is ancient.  I think this is where the issue lies, but we will see.

Monday, March 25, 2019 8:07 AM
  • Copy Sample.mny from your install folder (typically
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus\
    with 64-bit Windows) to your Documents folder.  Open Money
    by right-clicking that copy of sample.mny and choose Open.

Does that open?

• Marked as answer by bud_fox30 Monday, March 25, 2019 2:19 PM
    Monday, March 25, 2019 1:35 PM
  • Great work.

So I noticed that the quick link to 'my documents' was no longer pointing to a drive that existed, I forgot I had moved some files between a hdd and an m.2 drive.  I repaired the link, moved the file and bingo it worked.  

Thanks for your perseverance with this.  Glad I was wrong about it being the CPU!

Monday, March 25, 2019 2:19 PM