WHS 2011, can I restrict access to resources based on IP? RRS feed

• Question

• I am using WHS 2011 and have set up my user accounts to access resources.  My question is this; am I also able to restrict what IP addresses on my home network are able to access the server?  In other words, a user with an account on my home server would only be able to access resources on the server if they logged in from a specified IP.  Thanks!
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:52 PM

Answers

• You can't do this through the Windows Home Server Dashboard application, no. Windows does support the ability to restrict access to a share based on computer name, but I think this is a domain-only feature, and Windows Home Server can't be joined to a domain.

I can't speak to whether you would break any core Windows Home Server functionality if you did this, but it's possible, since Windows Home Server does offer the ability to set security by user.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by ConSeanery700 Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:42 PM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:28 PM
  • Yep, agree with Ken. Even Network Access Policy server could restrict the interface send/receive. Just like the figure below:

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by James Xiong Thursday, September 6, 2012 6:22 AM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:27 AM

All replies

• You can't do this through the Windows Home Server Dashboard application, no. Windows does support the ability to restrict access to a share based on computer name, but I think this is a domain-only feature, and Windows Home Server can't be joined to a domain.

I can't speak to whether you would break any core Windows Home Server functionality if you did this, but it's possible, since Windows Home Server does offer the ability to set security by user.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by ConSeanery700 Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:42 PM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:28 PM
  • Yep, agree with Ken. Even Network Access Policy server could restrict the interface send/receive. Just like the figure below:

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by James Xiong Thursday, September 6, 2012 6:22 AM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:27 AM