none
SQL 2005 Enterprise on HPC

Question

•  

Anyone tried running SQL 2005 on HPC as a application?

I mean could SQL 2005 run on HPC and share its load to compute nodes?

Choices I have right now are either buy a giant server for SQL server or buy IBM x3950 server that can expand.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 10:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Cris,

Unfortunately this is not what Windows HPC Server is designed for.   HPC Server is designed to allow for applications to be built that target the grid.  Such applications would mediate their distribution and communication across the grid using the services that the HPC job scheduler provides.  Existing applications (such as SQL Server) cannot be "scaled" across the grid (unless specifically designed for this purpose).

The reasons are numerous, and scaling SQL Server code across a network would probably majorly degade performance if it was possible.  What you should look into is either a big box with lots of cores (they are relatively cheap these days), or creating an active/active SQL cluster.  SQL server can support several concurrent instances running across multiple machines.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 4:46 AM

All replies

• Hi J Kizzle,

For our v1 product, MSDE 2000A is the database solution packaged with the product.  Upgrading from there can be done via the instructions listed at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930057.

For our upcoming v2 product, SQL Express 2005 is the database solution packaged with the product, but you can run other flavors of SQL 2005(Standard, Enterprise) and should experience no difficulties.

- Jarred Clore

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 10:31 PM
  • I think the purpose, in my case at least, would be to run a "grid" for Sql Server, I was hoping for a single license of SQL Server running on a number of processors. So far I havent found that option available, seems to indicate that we would need to install a SQL Server on each of the nodes.

Has anyone heard of something like i was hoping for?

Cris
    Saturday, April 19, 2008 3:54 PM
  • Hi Cris,

Unfortunately this is not what Windows HPC Server is designed for.   HPC Server is designed to allow for applications to be built that target the grid.  Such applications would mediate their distribution and communication across the grid using the services that the HPC job scheduler provides.  Existing applications (such as SQL Server) cannot be "scaled" across the grid (unless specifically designed for this purpose).

The reasons are numerous, and scaling SQL Server code across a network would probably majorly degade performance if it was possible.  What you should look into is either a big box with lots of cores (they are relatively cheap these days), or creating an active/active SQL cluster.  SQL server can support several concurrent instances running across multiple machines.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 4:46 AM