Beta 2 makes computer slow to a crawl. RRS feed

• General discussion

• I would really like to beta this OneCare 2.0 but as I can only stand to have it on my computer for only a few min. without going completely crazy.. I can't.

I have OC 1.6 and have betas the others at one time or another and never really had a problem.  This one slows my computer down to a prehistoric crawl... showing resources and memory usage at 100% all the time. 

I actually had to uninstall it and reinstall 1.6 in order to open IE7 ( or any other app ) in order to come here to write this.

I really don't have a clue as to what it was doing or for how long it would do that.. maybe has something to do with hacking into my router/modem or something.. don't know.  But as it stands.. its pretty useless, and if it comes out the same way I will be forced to bring Microsoft into court to cancel my membership ( I have been told it will take that to even get Microsoft to think about cancelling membership on OC ) and go back to (sigh) Norton.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 4:43 PM

All replies

• The beta is doing this to you, but not others, so there must be something else going on, on your system. Since it's a beta, it's there to test.  You didn't say if you are running Xp or Vista?

If what you are experiencing was happening to me, I'd go searching for the issue with my system.  I'd  use the clean up tools for any old Virus Scanner that had been on my system and also the One Care clean up tool before attempting to reinstall the beta.  I'd also run the standalone windows defender first just in case.  You have something corrupt on your system.  Did you use the Clean up tools?

Also if you are in Vista, it's good to right click on Install icons when you are installing and choose Run as Administrator.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:40 PM
  •  

First off.. I am running Vista on a Athlon 64 processor 3800+ 2.4 ghz 2 gigs ram and running 32bit.

I installed this beta version on this machine... and also a laptop I have.  Both had same results.

I ran the cleanup tool... I ran defender... I even installed it on a clean reformated machine with just Vista installed. 

I get same results.  Its worse on my laptop... I have to wait almost 20 min. before the network software can start to find my wifi.  So I don't think this is just my machine specific problem.

I have searched.  and did all the things that a good little administrator of my machine should do. 

I might add... if I remember correctly... last time I had a virus on my systems was the stoned virus in the early ninetys.

I think I have managed to maintain these quite well.

Friday, July 27, 2007 4:12 AM
  • Have you called Onecare tech support to let them try to fix it remotely?

Is the firewall blocking your network?

Friday, July 27, 2007 4:47 AM
  • For the record, beta support is via email only - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2

-steve

Friday, July 27, 2007 11:14 PM