"Set up Server Backup", no drives are shown. RRS feed

• Question

• Under Getting Started Tasks, Set up the Server Backup, no drive are show as the backup destination.  Checked "show all internal and external drives" and then refresh, still no drives shown.

Intel RAID is the drive mode.  Install volume and backup volumes are shown when logged on to the Vail server.  Any ideas?

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 9:09 PM

Answers

•  Vail's server backup feature is designed to allow you to take a backup of your shares, or your entire server, offsite for disaster recovery purposes. As such, you can only back up to an external drive connected directly to the server. You can't back up to a NAS, or to a network share, using the functionality in the Dashboard, and you may not be able to back up to an eSATA drive, as it's not uncommon for the BIOS to see that as an internal drive.

You can, however, use the full functionality of the Windows Server backup engine directly from the server desktop.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 10:02 PM

• Actually, I do use one of my four internal SATA disks for server backup.
    As documented in the VAIL beta Getting Started Guide an internally connected drive (not connected to the storage pool) should show up as the backup destination.

@kobuja: could you please bug this on Connect?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:33 PM

All replies

•  Vail's server backup feature is designed to allow you to take a backup of your shares, or your entire server, offsite for disaster recovery purposes. As such, you can only back up to an external drive connected directly to the server. You can't back up to a NAS, or to a network share, using the functionality in the Dashboard, and you may not be able to back up to an eSATA drive, as it's not uncommon for the BIOS to see that as an internal drive.

You can, however, use the full functionality of the Windows Server backup engine directly from the server desktop.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 10:02 PM

• Actually, I do use one of my four internal SATA disks for server backup.
    As documented in the VAIL beta Getting Started Guide an internally connected drive (not connected to the storage pool) should show up as the backup destination.

@kobuja: could you please bug this on Connect?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:33 PM