Overriding the Copy Process RRS feed

• Question

•  

Is it possible to override the copy process so that I can manipulate the files in transit?

Scenario: - Master storage of pictures (very large files) on a file server but need a sync to laptop; the laptop does not have the storage capacity for (example, 30,000 5MB files) the pictures, so during the copy (sync) the pictures are reduced in size (to jpg and 1024x768).

Is this possible to do using the sync engine?

Thanks

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:14 AM

Answers

• Hi UKInbox,

It should be possible to write some kind of a wrapper for the SOURCE file sync provider so it can hand out a wrapped transfer interface which can do the stream transcoding on the source side. Unfortunately there is no way, currently, to override the stream copy on the destination with the file sync provider.

I should tell you upfront that this solution is based on our internal engineering theories and we have in no way tested this type of implementation so there could be additional issues that you will come across that we are not aware of.  I also need to point out that this solution would only be viable using the unmanaged (native) provider and we are assuming that the destination replica of the one-way sync is a simple participant which is only syncing with one other replica and that restriction will be permanent as long as you use this scheme.

Anyway, I hope that helps to get you started.

Thanks,
    Liam

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:02 PM

All replies

• Are you looking to only do one-way sync? If you're looking for two-way sync it becomes much harder.

Liam

Thursday, November 15, 2007 7:17 PM
  • yes it will be a one way sync.

UKInbox

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 9:38 PM
  • Hi UKInbox,

It should be possible to write some kind of a wrapper for the SOURCE file sync provider so it can hand out a wrapped transfer interface which can do the stream transcoding on the source side. Unfortunately there is no way, currently, to override the stream copy on the destination with the file sync provider.

I should tell you upfront that this solution is based on our internal engineering theories and we have in no way tested this type of implementation so there could be additional issues that you will come across that we are not aware of.  I also need to point out that this solution would only be viable using the unmanaged (native) provider and we are assuming that the destination replica of the one-way sync is a simple participant which is only syncing with one other replica and that restriction will be permanent as long as you use this scheme.

Anyway, I hope that helps to get you started.

Thanks,
    Liam

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:02 PM
  •  

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:26 PM