PRM Basic Questions?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I ran through the installation of the PRM solution and wanted to get some clarification since I found the installation guide a confusing and incomplete.

1.) Are steps 4 through 14 only relvant if you are having the PRM solution hosted via Azure.  Are any of these steps necessary if I am simply installing PRM onto my existing CRM on-premise server?

2.) I am running a multi-tenant CRM environment (again On-Premise).  I connected to TenantA and ran through all of the PRM install steps and it appeared to load successfully.  However, I am not clear on where the root portal page exists (ie where do I go for the login screen, etc..

3.) Do we have any control over where the PRM website gets installed to?  I created a new website under IIS, point to that location in step 3e but it did not get installed where I thought it would.  I imagine it got installed under the default CRM website but again and note sure where the actual location is.

Thanks for the help!

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 11:17 PM

All replies

• Just to add additional clarification on my question...in step 3e and 3f it says to specify the name of the website, then it creates the website.  I do not understand where this website is getting created because it's not detecting my site within IIS?  I cannot tell where the PRM files are getting loaded to AND I cannot figure out what my URL is to the PRM site.

Any information anyone has is greatly appreciated..I'm obviously missing something here.

mark veronda
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 12:59 AM
  • One thing to be aware of - the portal has two components - the stuff that goes in CRM, and a separate IIS website.  The stuff that goes in CRM includes a solution file that extends the CRM data model to house the content for the portal, plus the actual content that you import with the websitecopy utility.  As for the actual portal itself, it is a standard ASP.NET website that is designed to be on an external-facing web server.  This ASP.NET web application must be hosted in a separate website than your CRM, and it is typically even installed on a separate server as most organizations keep their CRM server in a back-end DMZ that is not exposed directly to the Internet.  It is a common misunderstanding to think that the CRM server itself is going to render the portal - the CRM is just a database to the portal, and the portal's ASP.NET application will connect to CRM and render appropriate pages based on the contents of the pages in CRM (see website, web page, web files, and content snippet entities).
    Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    • Proposed as answer by Palak Kadakia Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:22 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 2:23 PM