Use Dell OEM key with OEM CD RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client who has lost their original XP Professional CD.  The machine is a Dell corporate box with an XP Pro license sticker with the Dell and Microsoft logos.  From past experience I know that these don't work with my own VLK install CD.  If I use an OEM license CD it doesn't work either.  Presumably, Dell have a different set of keys.

Here's my question:

Can I use this too: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx to change them to their own Dell key after installing XP VLK with my key (obviously, I don't want them to have my key!).

If not... do they need to call Dell, or if I give the valid Dell XP key to MS support can they provide me with another key that works?

Thanks,

Chris

Friday, September 1, 2006 1:57 PM

Answers

• Zerby,

The product keys associations have alot more to do with the version of windows (HOME, PRO) then the license type. Example: You can use a Pro producat Key on a VL version of windows (all Volume License versions of windows are XP Pro) but you cannot use a Home PK, and vice versa.

Let me know if you need any more info,

Friday, September 1, 2006 2:05 PM

All replies

• Zerby,

The product keys associations have alot more to do with the version of windows (HOME, PRO) then the license type. Example: You can use a Pro producat Key on a VL version of windows (all Volume License versions of windows are XP Pro) but you cannot use a Home PK, and vice versa.

Let me know if you need any more info,

• Yes, you can use the Windows Product Key Update Tool.
  • Zerbey,

Dell will send them a replacement Dell OS reinstallation CD for less than $20 incl shipping.  IMO that's your best bet, since sooner or later they will need the CD again, if only to accompany the system when it is sold in a few years.

If you have other clients that use Dell computers (and who doesn't?), if the other clients have a Dell OS reinstallation CD for XP Pro, it will work in the meantime.

Friday, September 1, 2006 3:36 PM
  • Thanks for the replies.  To answer my own question: Yes it will work if you use the WGA validation tool to change the key.  Online activation fails, but you can call and get a different activation key and all is well.

Friday, September 15, 2006 12:10 AM
  •  

Sorry, Derrick, but this is incorrect.

A product key is based both on product and distribution channel.

For example, for Windows XP there are several versions such as Home, Pro, Tablet, MCE, x64, and so on.  Additionally there are distribution channels such as Retail, OEM, MSDN, Volume Licensing, Action Pack Subscriptions, Home Use Programs, and so on.

There are unique keys for every unique combination of those 2 factors.

For example, a Windows XP Home OEM key will not work on a Windows XP Home Retail CD.

Having a Windows XP Pro key does not guarantee that it will work on any version of Windows XP that was distributed through Volume Licensing.  If you have a Windows XP Pro Volume License Key, it will work on other Windows XP Pro Volume License disks.  Further, Volume Licensing is not a version of Windows XP, it is merely one of several distribution channels.  Further, not all Volume License distributions of Windows are for Windows XP Pro.  They have existed for Windows NT, Windows 2000 (all editions), Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2003 (all editions), Small Business Server,  etc.

Saturday, September 29, 2007 3:31 AM