Multiple 1:N Case Self Relationship Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I like to get some idea / suggestion to the the problem I have recently encountered.

The Problem :

In my application Case (Incident ) are linked to itself twice ( Self Reference 1:N )

Let say they are called ChildCaseCategory1 and ChildCaseCategory2

so Case & ChildCaseCategory1 have 1:N relationship

Case & ChildCaseCategory2 have 1:N relationship

Now on the Case Form

Left hand navigation Bar shows one item for ChildCaseCategory1 & one for ChildCaseCategory2

When I create any childcaseCategory record , it appear in other aswell.

i.e when I create a Category1 type of Child case .  it would  appear in both Types.

The Reason      

CRM sets the  lookup field for the both these relationship automatically  to the parent case.

The Mapping section of the Relationship doesnt allow to dissociate  these  attributes.

Help required

If I can identify either from which left  navigation item was selected  while opening the Child Case Category Open form then I guess I can set the lookup value of the other Child Case to null.

Does any body have encountered this issue or have any idea to tackle this problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dkay

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 10:26 AM

All replies

• When ever you create a parent child relationship a field is added to child form. When a child record is created then this field is populated with parent record id. This is the behaviour of CRM to relate parent and child records. If you want to set it to null you can do this using javascript however the relationship will be broken.

Regards Faisal

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 10:43 AM
  • Faisal ,

Writing javascript and setting the value to null is not the issue .

This issue is how to identify which Child Case Category  user is trying to create.

So that the I can  set the value of other parent child case lookup to NULL.

Eg . if he is trying to Create  ChildCaseCategory1 record then I would set other category parent to null

and VisaVersa

Hope I have explianed it clearly.

Dkay

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 11:21 AM