none
The tainted ranges in the NNTP bridge

General discussion

• Occasionally when I try to access the article list for a forum from the NNTP bridge, I get an exception which occurs repeatedly. The fix is to adjust the list of read messages to exclude what I've coined the "tainted range". For instance, I may have 200 unread messages in the T-SQL forum, and I need to edit the list to exclude some 50 messages. (Or catch up entirely.)

This does not happen very often, but it was abundant Friday and Saturday after that spam filter that went bezeerk. And it even happened on forums with low volume. For instance it happened this morning in the XML forum. I had just replied to the single unread post there were, but I when left the newsgroup, I saw now had three unread message. My own, and checking the forum in the web UI I saw one of these resurrected threads and also appeared to have been moved around.

So it seems that deleting and resurrecting posts confuses the web service.

I'm just dropping it here as a piece of information. I could have sent a mail to fissues to investigate it, but frankly, this is not a very big problem. Particularly not for me, who understand to edit my .newsrc.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Sunday, June 2, 2013 6:57 PM

All replies

• Then you did the right thing by sending the note to Fissues. Did they get back to you?

Can we change this to a Discussion then, if you already did what this forum is for (making issues known to the team)?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, June 10, 2013 7:44 PM
    Owner
  • Then you did the right thing by sending the note to Fissues. Did they get back to you?

Well, I never sent a note... Maybe I should have, because it has been more common lately. But I think it's still related to the aftershocks of that spam filter. And, here is something interesting, in some forums it has self-healed.

Can we change this to a Discussion then,

Hm, not sure what you are talking about. Keep in mind that you are talking to someone who use NNTP bridge. From where I sit everything is a discussion!

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Monday, June 10, 2013 9:26 PM