Dash Board, Computer and Backup Screen "Server Not Listed" RRS feed

• Question

• I have seen pictures from other installs that shows a link to the server "just like the link to other client computers" on the computer and backup screen, ,mine is not.  How can I get my server listed so that I can check on backups etc?
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:54 AM

All replies

• Yes it should be there in the Dashboard. Have you any add-ins installed or have you done any Server configuration outside the Dashboard?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:39 PM
  • Have you configured a drive (connected to your server) for server backups?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:10 PM
  • I might have done server configuration trough the Remote Desktop, I do not think I used the dashboard.  I do have a drive setup for server backups.
      Any ideas on how to fix this at this point?
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:27 PM
  • If you haven't configured server backup using the dashboard, I'm pretty sure you will not see your server on the list of computers in the dashboard. There is unlikely to be any reasonable workaround for this (if there's a workaround at all, which I also doubt), so the way you would fix it is by using the dashbaord to configure the backup drive, rather than doing it by hand outside the dashboard.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:41 PM
  • So yes, configuration outside the Dashboard! Not sure you can do it via RDP though. I suggest you remove the drive and start again:

Backup & Restore

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:43 PM
  • So yes, configuration outside the Dashboard! Not sure you can do it via RDP though. I suggest you remove the drive and start again

If you do it in the dashboard, you're using RDP anyway. It's a Remote App. :)
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:00 PM
  • So yes, configuration outside the Dashboard! Not sure you can do it via RDP though. I suggest you remove the drive and start again
    If you do it in the dashboard, you're using RDP anyway. It's a Remote App. :)
    Agreed, I meant RDP to the desktop (outside the Dashboard).

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:54 PM
  • I will give it a try and report

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:35 PM
  • Deleted drive, disabled server backup. Re-enabled server backup and added drive, had the server delete existing data and NO Go.  I did use the Dashboard, any other ideas?

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:44 PM
  • Are you sure you are doing it properly? Are you using an internal or external drive? Do not allow it to be formatted or the disk will appear as storage rather than be available for backup. If it's an internal disk try this sequence

• ·         Add a blank drive into an internal server slot
    • ·         DO NOT allow format as this assigns a drive letter and allocates to Server storage
    • ·         Set up Server Backup and select disks (may need to tick “Show all drives” box)
    • ·         Allocate drive to backup

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:46 PM
  • I have a test server that is showing this problem also. AFAIK as a result of doing one unsupported test to many :-|
    Until now I have not found the actual cause nor a solution for it. I think I have seen another report of this elsewhere in the forum. So this could also be a bug.

Would you please report this to Connect?
    Maybe post the feedback ID in this thread for others to vote for it?

Thanks,
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:28 PM
  • I have a test server that is showing this problem also. AFAIK as a result of doing one unsupported test to many :-|
    Until now I have not found the actual cause nor a solution for it. I think I have seen another report of this elsewhere in the forum. So this could also be a bug.

Would you please report this to Connect?
    Maybe post the feedback ID in this thread for others to vote for it?

Thanks,
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server

I also have the same problem in that the server does not show up on the Dash Board, Computer and Backup Screen tab.  Has there been a fix found?
    home user
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 3:27 PM