Using Robocopy with WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I took a look to a list of suggested answer but did not find anything related to my question, so I will start a thread on that. I know MVP Ken Warren have use Robocopy since a few years as I saw in one thread. I have downloaded Robocopy GUI 3.1.1 and installed it on my XP Media center PC. I then set it up to copy files from WMCE to WHS to test it. I then clicked on the run button. I have waited a few minutes and then went to check in the WHS folder and nothing was copied at all. That would be great if someone can help me with that, and give me details on how to set it up properly. May be I missunderstood something somewhere...

Thank you for your help,

Klode

Friday, April 4, 2008 5:41 PM

Answers

• Hello again

I see what you mean...

For a GUI sync solution I can recommend Vice Versa Pro (trgmn.com). It works nicely with Home Server in your scenario.

Also, many people talk in this forum about the (free, from Microsoft) Sync Toy, which is a GUI solution as well.

Regards, Martin

Friday, April 4, 2008 7:40 PM

All replies

• Here is a little batch I use to backup just about everything to WHS:

@ECHO OFF
    SETLOCAL

SET _source=%1
    SET _dest=%2

SET _what=/COPYBig SmileAT /MIR
    :: /COPY    :: what to COPY; D=Data, A=Attributes, T=Timestamps, S=Security=NTFS ACLs, O=Owner info, U=aUditing info
    :: /MIR     :: MIRror a directory tree (/E plus /PURGE)

SET _excl=/XATongue TiedH /XF *.bak hiberfil.sys pagefile.sys desktop.ini Thumbs.db /XD "System Volume Information" "RECYCLER"
    :: /XF      :: Excludes files indicated by filespec.
    :: /XD      :: Excludes directories indicated by dirspec by name/path.
    :: /XJ      :: Exclude junctions.

SET _options=/Z /R:1 /W:0 /LOG:MyLogfile.txt /TEE /ETA
    :: /Z  :: Use restartable mode
    :: /R:n :: number of Retries
    :: /W:n :: Wait time between retries
    :: /LOG :: Output log file
    :: /TEE :: Output to console window, as well as the log file.
    :: /ETA :: show Estimated Time of Arrival of copied files

ROBOCOPY %_source% %_dest% %_what% %_excl% %_options%

Save it as e.g. rc.bat, and use it for example like this on a command line:

rc c:\users\me \\HOMESERVER\Benutzer\me

I found the GUI to be a bit pointless, because you still have to read about and understand all the robocopy options.

Best regards, Martin

P.S. Bloody emoticons...

First one: / C O P Y : D A T (without spaces)

Second: _ e x c l = / X A : S H

Friday, April 4, 2008 6:06 PM
  • Thank you Martin for your quick answer. I pick the GUI because for me it's seems easier to understand. That reminds me why I'm on the hardware side instead of software programming side... It looks like chinese to me (I don't want to offend any chinese people in stating that...).

The reason I wanted to use Robocopy is to move my DVR-MS files from MCE to WHS. I tried to record these files directly to WHS without any success. I can read those files if they are already onto WHS from MCE. I followed the guide in another thread from Richard A. Miller.

Since I have to do some programming in a command line, I think I will give up on that solution and stay the way I'm configured right now. So bad, WHS would have been perfect to store all my TV shows so I can watch them all around the house. I have 2 MCE recording TV and 2 other desktop in my office at home. May be sometime someone will come with a real solution so it can be done.

Thank you anyway,

Klode 

Friday, April 4, 2008 6:38 PM
  • Hello again

I see what you mean...

For a GUI sync solution I can recommend Vice Versa Pro (trgmn.com). It works nicely with Home Server in your scenario.

Also, many people talk in this forum about the (free, from Microsoft) Sync Toy, which is a GUI solution as well.

Regards, Martin

Friday, April 4, 2008 7:40 PM