Odd transaction download behaviour RRS feed

• Question

• This issue is not new, but I have only just experienced it again - thought I'd check it out here.

When I make two identical credit card purchases on the same day with the same supplier (such as train tickets for 2 people from a ticket machine), the downloaded transactions ALWAYS appear in my Money card account as just one (marked as cleared 'E'); so to make it reconcile I have to manually duplicate the entry (and mark it as cleared 'C').

It's not a great bother, but the purist in me would like to correct the problem if anyone knows how!

John

John Edwards

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 3:13 PM

Answers

• This happens with QIF when imported as a statement.

If if the date, payee, and amount are identical, Money presumes these are duplicates of the same transactions. OFX does not have this quirk.

If you wanted to massage the QIF, you could bump up the price of one by 0.01 and reduce the other by the same amount.  You could change the payee of one to Railco 2 instead of Railco.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2020 3:16 PM

All replies

• This happens with QIF when imported as a statement.

If if the date, payee, and amount are identical, Money presumes these are duplicates of the same transactions. OFX does not have this quirk.

If you wanted to massage the QIF, you could bump up the price of one by 0.01 and reduce the other by the same amount.  You could change the payee of one to Railco 2 instead of Railco.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2020 3:16 PM
  • Thanks Cal

I don't think my card issuer offers that option, so I'll just have to live with it - assuming it can;t be fixed.

John Edwards

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 3:20 PM
  • Probably not worthwhile, but you could experiment.

1. I think if you File->Import->RecoverAccounts, that duplicate checking is not done. However in that case, you would need to make sure that there was no overlap with existing transactions.

2. You can duplicate an entry by right-clicking, and choosing CopyAndPasteToAccount. Not a big savings in effort.

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 3:30 PM
  • I think you're right! I already use (2).

I noticed that there's a tool mentioned recently on this site (see below) to convert QFX files to OFX. Would this work with QIF too?

https://github.com/jtg-github/ConvertToOFX

John Edwards

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 3:37 PM
  • I think you're right! I already use (2).

I noticed that there's a tool mentioned recently on this site (see below) to convert QFX files to OFX. Would this work with QIF too?

https://github.com/jtg-github/ConvertToOFX

John Edwards

That one looks like it would not do your job.  Converting from QFX to OFX is pretty trivial IMO. Money usually accepts QFX files as is, but if you want to avoid manual Import, you can tell Windows that the handler for QFX is the Money Import Handler. If QFX is a choice, we can refer you to posts that describe that.

https://github.com/wesabe/fixofx looks like it could perhaps. I have not tried either of them.

If I were going to make a python program to massage the QIF, I am thinking of changing the purchase price from 1.25 to 1.2501. Would Money round off to 1.25 , and yet not match another 1.25 transaction with the same payee and date? Easy experiment, but you should do any experiments with a copy of your file, of course.

Is feeding your QIF into a program that spits out some other file worth it? If so, I am pretty sure that it is doable.

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 4:05 PM
  • Very creative - but it doesn't happen often enough for my present workaround to be a burden worthy of such effort!

Thanks for your input - as ever.

John Edwards

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 4:21 PM