Crashed WHS2011 RAID rebuild RRS feed

• Question

• So my hard drive with my windows home server 2011 crashed and I had to reformat, no big deal since I put my raid on 6x2TB HDD separate. The problem I am running into now however is when I attempt to rebuild the RAID by importing foreign disks I have 2 groups of disks, a group of 1 of 1 and a group of 4 of 4. My question is that if I import these drives separately will I lose the data on the RAID? The 6th disk is reporting invalid but that's not a huge deal since I can lose the 1 and reformat and add it to the array. I really don't want to lose all the data since I have roughly 2.4 TB worth of media and data on this array.

Can I safely import both groups of disks and then rebuild the array without losing data or do I need to change a setting somewhere to get it to read as 1 cluster?

Friday, December 14, 2012 10:33 PM

All replies

• Well I went ahead and imported both groups and it went fine but now all 5 of the functioning disks are showing failed for the RAID-5 setup. When I try to reactivate the volume I get the error message "The attempted operation cannot be completed. The selected volume is offline."

Now all 5 disks are online and I cannot for the life of me figure out why I am getting this error message. Anyone have any ideas?

• Edited by Gary Haag Friday, December 14, 2012 11:18 PM
    Friday, December 14, 2012 11:16 PM
  • So I am led to believe that the error message stating that the disk is offline is due to the fact that the 6th disk in the RAID array was un-importable and had to be reformatted and now the array is stating that only 5 of the 6 disks are available. Now shouldn't I still be able to activate this array and allow it to function in a degraded state and then simply re-add the 6th disk?
    Friday, December 14, 2012 11:54 PM