Offline updates for OneCare RRS feed

• Question

•  Have a situation with a computer that only has dial-up access to the Internet however the user has access to high-speed in another location.  Can updates to OneCare be downloaded (with a valid account) and loaded to a computer that is not on the Internet (via CD or USB drive).  Everytime the user installs AV or Internet Security software the dial-up session(s) becomes devoted to downloading patches and they cannot use the connection for anything else.

If there is another solution to this let me know.

Thank you
    Friday, January 16, 2009 5:22 PM

Answers

• See this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=958067

It explains how to obtain the updates manually. Note that OneCare will still check for updates over the dial-up connection and there's no way to stop it when it wants to check. If you do pull the updates manually, you will probably be able to limit the activity, though.
    There is no manual update path for program updates, so if the program receives any bug fix updates, they will come manually.
    Note also that OneCare should not consume all bandwidth when it is checking for an downloading updates as it uses a background process to do this.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, January 16, 2009 6:11 PM

All replies

• See this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=958067

It explains how to obtain the updates manually. Note that OneCare will still check for updates over the dial-up connection and there's no way to stop it when it wants to check. If you do pull the updates manually, you will probably be able to limit the activity, though.
    There is no manual update path for program updates, so if the program receives any bug fix updates, they will come manually.
    Note also that OneCare should not consume all bandwidth when it is checking for an downloading updates as it uses a background process to do this.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, January 16, 2009 6:11 PM
  • Though Steve has already answered this correctly, I'm going to add some real life experiance relating to Dial-up.

Until a few months ago, I had my sister's Windows XP PC on MSN Dial-up with OneCare. I understand completely the issues involved, because the PC was only online a few hours a week, which created huge problems with updates of all kinds getting behind. This was very frustrating, since every time I visited I had to spend hours online manually downloading Windows Updates and those for other applications including MSN Explorer, as well as waiting for the OneCare updates to complete in 'the background' as Steve mentioned.

The reality is that the sheer volume of updates required has become nearly impossible to maintain with a Dial-up connection, at least for those systems that aren't online a few hours each day. The reason is that even though it may be able to skip the daily detection updates, the scanning engine and other Windows Updates which are often much larger will tend to 'back up' waiting for each other to complete. Even though the background process (BITS) for updates does it's best to stay out of the user's way, eventually this becomes so far behind that several such processes are attempting to download at the same time, resulting in so much overhead that the computer becomes nearly useless.

Though you can disable the Windows Automatic Updates and most other applications, OneCare doesn't allow this as Steve mentioned, so there's really no manually controllable solution. The best solution is actually quite simple, log the computer into the Internet at least every couple days and leave it online until it can catch up. If the PC is only used on weekends, do this the evening before (Thursday or Firday night) you usually plan to use it, preferably just before heading to bed. This way it's not interfereing with normal use of the phone line and can spend all night playing 'catch up' without the annoyance of affecting its use. If you make certain that the Windows Automatic Updates is set to 'automatically download and install' at least several hours later (e.g. 5 to 7 am), then all of the updates should have time to download before this happens. OneCare has improved to the point that it only rarely requires a reboot for updates, almost never for the detection or engine updates which are most common.

Fortunately in my case, the local telephone company finally made DSL available in my sister's area, though I only got the cheapest 768Kbps speed. However, even this is enough that every time my nephew turns on the PC it downloads and updates Windows, OneCare and any other well designed programs which perform these automatically with BITS. Now I only need to manually update programs like Apple iTunes/QuickTime that still perform updates using archaic methods which require an Adminstrative user to be logged on, since I have my nephew using a Limited Account to provide true security.

If there's any possibility that the computer in question can be changed to even the slowest form of broadband, just do it, as the pain of Dial-up just isn't worth the trouble it causes. However, I understand and feel for those who are unable to acquire broadband and hope that one of the new Obama Adminstration's early efforts is to bring broadband to every location possible.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 8:19 PM