WHS2011 ISO under 4gb RRS feed

• Question

• Are there any file from the WHS2011 ISO that can be removed to make it under 4GB. I have a multi boot USB and want to put it on their for back up as I have been testing different hardware i have for my server. I have used Magic ISO Maker to make an ISO of my DVD but the file is just a bit to large to fit on a fat32 usb drive.

Normally I would just make it NTSF, but I have programs that will not run ntsf that are on the same thumb drive.

I have made an iso of the Client Restore and that boots up and works perfict.

O and this is a WHS2011 ISO from newegg.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:08 AM

All replies

• On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 06:08:01 +0000, almulder wrote:

Are there any file from the WHS2011 ISO that can be removed to make it under 4GB. I have a multi boot USB and want to put it on their for back up as I have been testing different hardware i have for my server. I have used Magic ISO Maker to make an ISO of my DVD but the file is just a bit to large to fit on a fat32 usb drive.

Normally I would just make it NTSF, but I have programs that will not run ntsf that are on the same thumb drive.

No, you can't remove any files from the ISO and expect it to still work.
    Also, from your post it would appear that you think that you should copy
    the ISO file itself to the USB drive which is not the case, you need to
    copy the contents of the ISO file to the drive.

You can buy an 8 GB thumb drive for less than $10 these days. I'd suggest
    that you simply buy a new drive.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    God is real, unless declared integer.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:11 AM
  •  

I'm using grub4dos on my 32gb thumb drive. I have a menu that selects what to boot and everything is stored as ISO's. I have 3 Live Linux and 2 winPE, Memtest86 and a few others, it is also my portableapps.com thumb drive.

I am trying to store my backups on my thumb drive and lock away my disk. (I seem to scratch them easily with kids in the house.). I am really new to the whole multi boot usb.

Is there a way to have WHS2011 on my thumb drive without interfering with everything else?

Are their no language packs i can remove or items like that that can be removed?

• Edited by almulder Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:19 AM added more
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:18 AM
  • On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 07:18:10 +0000, almulder wrote:

Is there a way to have WHS2011 on my thumb drive without interfering with everything else?

Not unless you convert the file system to NTFS, no.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Old mail has arrived.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:20 AM