none
The NetBIOS name "node1.test.com" is already in use in the network RRS feed

• Question

I'm attempting to create a new cluster using the 'New-Cluster" cmdlet.  I'm receiving the following error.

New-Cluster : The NetBIOS name 'node1.test.com' is already in use in the network.

I was able to create a 2 node cluster with no problems using the same pwershell script in my test "vm" environment.  I created a private network with my own domain controller, san server using MS iSCSI target, and 2 nodes.  Everything worked great.  I created the cluster and only specified node1.  then I used the "Add-ClusterNode" to add node2.

Now I'm trying this on our company domain.  I don't have domain permissions like I did in my test environment.  Not sure if that could be the problem.  I registered the two nodes on the domain, set up the shared volumes, ran the cluster validation, just like I did in my test environment.  I'm running the powershell script from node1, the same initial node I'm trying to add to the cluster.

The two nodes are joined to the domain, so I would expect the NetBIOS names to be registered as well.  Why is it checking at this point?

Thanks for any help!!!!

Thursday, August 25, 2011 6:56 PM

Answers

• I found the problem!  The name of the cluster was longer than the netbios limit.  It was truncated and as a result was the same name of the node1.

• Marked as answer by mikea730 Friday, August 26, 2011 6:09 PM
    Friday, August 26, 2011 6:09 PM