none
1709 fall creators / Edge MSDN forums editor RRS feed

• General discussion

• Anyone else have issues with forums editor using Windows 10 Edge browser; with changes due to fall creator’s update 1709? I have a surface pro 3 and surface pro 4 that both after applying the 1709 update will not allow highlight of body of text (for copy/paste/formatting, etc.) in forums editor using Edge browser. I tested that IE11 (in 1709) is not affected. Also highlighting of text in other applications such as notepad.exe (or even forums HTML editor) are unaffected.

I noticed this right away as soon as 1709 released so on my SP4 I just restored back to 1703 which fixes problem. I thought there was a slim possibility of an issue since the 1709 was an upgrade from 1607 so today I just completed a clean install of 1709 (patched fully) on my SP3 and the same problem exists but only for Edge browser with forums editor.

I left the SP3 at 1709 hoping a fix would eventually come (either for OS or editor) but nothing. Seems to be isolated issue with forums editor as far as I can tell. Also reported to fissues so will see what they say.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, December 10, 2017 3:40 AM

All replies

• Dave,

I am on Windows 10 Enterprise, 1709 (OS Build 16299.125) and posting this from Edge.

I copied the following, and assume I am pasting it as well :)

I noticed this right away as soon as 1709 released so on my SP4 I just restored back to 1703 which fixes problem. I thought there was a slim possibility of an issue since the 1709 was an upgrade from 1607 so today I just completed a clean install of 1709 (patched fully) on my SP3 and the same problem exists but only for Edge browser with forums editor.

Karl

Friday, December 22, 2017 5:25 PM
  • Thanks Karl, I think the issue is specifically with a surface pro (3 or 4) with 1709. I suppose it is pen and or inking related but since only the forums editor raises the issue, I was hopeful fissues would do some testing but I think they have lost interest in it. 

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, December 22, 2017 5:34 PM
  • Anyone else have issues with forums editor using Windows 10 Edge browser; with changes due to fall creator’s update 1709?

Yes.  FWIW I'm using it now and only noticed a few quirks getting this done.  So, I say, I haven't found anything I can't do but it may take more than 1 try with some variation in procedure.  So, what else is new?  More "Twisty passages" to negotiate.  It's not just the browser or the OS; it's the whole system IMO.  E.g., have you tried working on Answers lately?  Maybe the contagion is spreading.   ; |

Windows 10.  Still an Adventure ("Twisty passages, all different.")

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, December 25, 2017 2:53 AM
  • think the issue is specifically with a surface pro (3 or 4) with 1709. I suppose it is pen and or inking related but since only the forums editor raises the issue, I was hopeful fissues would do some testing but I think they have lost interest in it. 

Call me a masochist. This post created entirely via the TK on a Surface 2 Pro.  

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, December 25, 2017 3:11 AM
  • Yea, I can post as well. it is just the copy / paste thing is problematic within forum editor.

Monday, December 25, 2017 3:13 AM
  • Yea, I can post as well. it is just the copy / paste thing is problematic within forum editor.

I'm still not using the threaded view on these forums so I had to use Edge's XML View (of &OutputAs=XML) to find parent=5cb2453a-1103-4001-bd5c-736f2df8c52a"> 

That was just using my mouse to capture that.  Nothing allowed me to do a right-click on my selection until I used my keyboard's Menu key.  So, I think it is Edge, not a pen problem.  Unless you want to blame Fissues for a change in the XML UX too.  Maybe I will see what I can do with my pen.  Right now I am back with Second Screen Only, so no Touch stuff at all right now.

BTW make sure that you are using your barrel button appropriately.  With only one button it needs to depend on an object's state to know if it is doing a right- or left- click mouse operation with a barrel-buttoned tap.

OMG.  I completely forgot about the On-Screen Mouse (via TouchPad button from the Taskbar).  Have you tried using that too?  Apparently this is what we get instead of the (still missed) TabletPC Touch Pointer.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, December 25, 2017 5:01 AM
  • Nothing allowed me to do a right-click on my selection until I used 

Since the 1709 update I can't even do the selection. This is the root of the problem. For me after selection ctrl-c/v is much quicker than fiddling with barrel buttons. Yes it is only with edge and so far as I can tell it is only an issue in forums editor.

Unless you want to blame Fissues for a change

Well I wasn't blaming them for a change. 1709 was the change that broke things. It just seems to me the forums editor should be made to work on microsoft hardware with the latest operating system update.

Monday, December 25, 2017 5:10 AM
  • Since the 1709 update I can't even do the selection. This is the root of the problem. For me after selection ctrl-c/v is much quicker than fiddling with barrel buttons. Yes it is only with edge and so far as I can tell it is only an issue in forums editor.

That needs the barrel button too.  This post done entirely using the TK. 

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, December 25, 2017 12:53 PM
  • Yes.  FWIW I'm using it now and only noticed a few quirks getting this done.  So, I say, I haven't found anything I can't do but it may take more than 1 try with some variation in procedure.  So, what else is new?  More "Twisty passages" to negotiate.  It's not just the browser or the OS; it's the whole system IMO.  E.g., have you tried working on Answers lately?  Maybe the contagion is spreading.   ; |

Windows 10.  Still an Adventure ("Twisty passages, all different.")

Hmm, you know I never have needed to use the pen barrel buttons before in forums editor so you're right; it does work. It still does not explain why I don't need to use any buttons in editor with IE or even plain old notepad.exe. So it seems somewhat of a new pain point to have to deal with that but I suppose it is livable. haha Thanks Robert for the push

Monday, December 25, 2017 10:17 PM
  • seems somewhat of a new pain point to have to deal with 

If it helps ease that "pain" I have a bit of a rationale for it.  Think that pushing the button emulates the mouse pointer's right-click drag function.  And a difference with IE and Notepad is that they have no intention to offer support for Ink functions, only text input if input is needed, so they don't need to disambiguate swipes by the pen pointer.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, December 25, 2017 10:48 PM
  • You're probably right. It seems whatever changed, with respect to this, was not really noteworthy.

https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2017/10/17/edgehtml-16-fall-creators-update/#QBRmsCWOQs2hYHBB.97

Monday, December 25, 2017 10:55 PM
  • https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2017/10/17/edgehtml-16-fall-creators-update/#QBRmsCWOQs2hYHBB.97

That mentioned about:flags.  So I tried it and noticed that there is an option just begging to be tried:

Enable touch events:  Only when a touch screen is detected.

What could go wrong?...  Now try to make a text selection in Edge with just the pen.  Good grief.

I might be able to do it using the OSK (not the TK, even with its so-called Standard layout) Shift- (very carefully) and its arrow keys but that's unbelievably useless.

Let's hope Touch events never become a default (at least the way they seem to be implemented now).

BTW it was not necessary to restart the browser to test this.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, December 25, 2017 11:58 PM
  • New discovery; you can double tap and gain access to some text selection handles.

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 1:13 AM
  • New discovery; you can double tap and gain access to some text selection handles.

Strangely that doesn't work in IE?  But you have made me retry the about:flags  Enable Touch Events thing again.  It may be that it enables the kind of swipe text selection that you are used to provided the TK is in its Handwriting recognition mode?  Otherwise I still only see a single ball which is useless for making a selection.  No.  That's wrong.  I still need to use the barrel button to make a selection (without balls) but that is still better than I had first thought.  Now I can leave the Enable Touch Events things set to see what other effects it may have.  Thanks for the incentive.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 5:06 PM
  • The two ball selection method seems a bit unstable when crossing carriage returns or completely useless in editor if you have inserted an image.

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 5:46 PM