remove unnecessary files RRS feed

• Question

• After tune-up is complete I get this message in the tune-up checklist under "remove unnecessary files".......

this task was not performed because of unknown problem. Try running tune-up again. If this problem continues please contact help center.

Tried again , same message

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 9:32 PM

Answers

•  mustang_gary wrote:

Well I guess I'm not the only one...lol

I'm sure they will fix it soon....It is just a beta...thats why they test it..

Yes indeed. It *is* a beta. We reported it to the OneCare team and I'm sure that they will be investigating it in detail as there are now many reports of Defrag and Cleanup failing.

-steve

Sunday, July 15, 2007 2:05 AM

All replies

• Is this using the new beta or v1.5, Gary?

-steve

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 9:43 PM
  • Do you have Windows XP or Windows Vista?
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 9:56 PM
  • Sorry....I should have stated it was the new OneCare beta 2.0....and I'm using Vista Ultimate x86.....

Its really no biggie, but I thought it should be reported.  I use disk cleanup regularly to  cleanup my files.

It woked when I was using 1.6, but after it updated to the beta 2.0 it gave me that message.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 12:57 AM
  • What "unnecessary files" are removed exactly? The help page that the link in the tune up tab leads doesn't actually say it. Even when it's titled "What files does tune-up remove?".
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 6:52 AM
  •  mustang_gary wrote:

After tune-up is complete I get this message in the tune-up checklist under "remove unnecessary files".......

this task was not performed because of unknown problem. Try running tune-up again. If this problem continues please contact help center.

Tried again , same message

This also happened to me.  I have Beta 2.0 and XP.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 12:20 PM
  • At this point I am getting a message that the agent has stopped working.  Vista x64 using 2.0 beta.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 1:40 PM
  • I have the same problem not only with deleting unnecessary files but also with defrag.  I have confirmed the problem happens on both my desktop and my laptop.  Both are Vista Business.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 8:59 PM
  • Hi B. Getreu,

I have the same problems exactly as you!! under Vista Premium.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 2:54 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem (using XP home and beta v2.0)  - including an error for defrag  too

Hopefully if it is a common problem then they will fix it soon
    Friday, July 13, 2007 1:17 PM
  • Thanks for reporting this everyone. We'll report it to the OneCare team.

-steve

Friday, July 13, 2007 5:51 PM
  • This is going on in vista Ultimate 32 WLOC 2.0 too.

The Defrag is also not able to run

Friday, July 13, 2007 6:38 PM
  • Same with me, I got that error for removing files and defrag on the first tune up I did under Windows Vista Business. I had 1.6 previously and worked fine. Looks like we got ourselves a bug! Smile
    Friday, July 13, 2007 7:09 PM
  • Well I guess I'm not the only one...lol

Friday, July 13, 2007 8:14 PM
  • Same here as well, x64 vista home premium
    Friday, July 13, 2007 9:18 PM
  • I got the same message, and like others I cannot find a definition of "unnecessary files."  Therefore I don't think I can safely use that option.  Win XP Home, SP 2.
    Saturday, July 14, 2007 12:00 PM
  • HI GETTING THE SAME MESSAGE AS MOST OF YOU HERE EVERYTHING ELSE RUNNING FINE. JUST A QIUCK QUESTION IS DISK CLEAN UP DOING THE SAME AS THE ONECARE REMOVE UNNESSARY FILES IN TUNE UP? CHEERS BUG BETA
    Saturday, July 14, 2007 9:05 PM
  •  mustang_gary wrote:

Well I guess I'm not the only one...lol

Yes indeed. It *is* a beta. We reported it to the OneCare team and I'm sure that they will be investigating it in detail as there are now many reports of Defrag and Cleanup failing.

-steve

Sunday, July 15, 2007 2:05 AM
  •  William.Hypernova wrote:
    What "unnecessary files" are removed exactly? The help page that the link in the tune up tab leads doesn't actually say it. Even when it's titled "What files does tune-up remove?".

The Cleanup function uses the standard setting of Disk Cleanup in Windows. Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools - run disk cleanup manually and select what you want to have removed. OneCare uses the same settings.

-steve

Sunday, July 15, 2007 2:06 AM
  • i do to have the same problem with it
    Monday, July 16, 2007 12:40 AM
  • Previuously had v1 working fine - so advanced onto v2 beta.

All works OK, except the Removal of unnecessary files.

It just responds saying Not performed due to Unknown error.

As Sazid has a similar problem,  seems a bug here somewhere.

Advice welcomed,

dave bee

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 3:29 AM
  • Another suffering from this "BUG" . . .

On v2 OC, and Vista Ultimate 32.....

Cleanup via Disk Properties works OK, but not via OC Tuneup.

Will await news of any fixes .

daveb

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 3:36 AM
  • Sorry - didn't see the other more-elaborate thread . . .  daveb..
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 8:01 AM
  • I also have the same problem.  When will Microsoft fix this problem?  Version 1.6 worked fine in removal of unnecessary files.  Beta 2.0 says to contact support for assistance.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 2:33 PM
  • I haven't heard back on this, but clearly it is a bug that needs to be investigated and repaired.

-steve

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 12:36 AM
  • I too have the same issues with both the "Remove Unnecessary Files" and "Defrag".  Both are due to an unknown problem.  I am running Vista Business with 2.0.
    Sunday, July 22, 2007 11:13 AM