none
Need IE7 Add-In to allow remote connection to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new netbook running XP Home SP3 that easily joined my WHS setup at home & is being backed up, etc. In taking it out of town for the first time & trying to remotely connect  to another PC at home through IE7, I get a message saying that either the Microsoft Terminal Services Client Control add-on or the Microsoft RDP Client Control add-on must be installed & enabled. However, there is no sign of either of these in my IE7 "Manage Add-ons" area. So, I've searched Microsoft.com for about an hour now, finding only related stuff for installation on a server.

Can anyone help me find the add-on I need to allow me to connect to my home PC?  Thank you.
    Friday, April 10, 2009 7:40 PM

Answers

• I have a new netbook running XP Home SP3 that easily joined my WHS setup at home & is being backed up, etc. In taking it out of town for the first time & trying to remotely connect  to another PC at home through IE7, I get a message saying that either the Microsoft Terminal Services Client Control add-on or the Microsoft RDP Client Control add-on must be installed & enabled. However, there is no sign of either of these in my IE7 "Manage Add-ons" area. So, I've searched Microsoft.com for about an hour now, finding only related stuff for installation on a server.

Can anyone help me find the add-on I need to allow me to connect to my home PC?  Thank you.

Did you try resetting IE7?  (Internet Options > Advanced tab > Reset)  If that didn't help, the files you are looking for are mstscax.dll (MS TS Client Control) and msrdp.ocx (MS RDP Client Control).  As to where to find it, I don't see either of them on the MS website.  However, I did find KB951607 which might help as well.
    • Marked as answer by Bobsie Saturday, April 11, 2009 8:04 AM
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 12:41 AM

All replies

Did you try resetting IE7?  (Internet Options > Advanced tab > Reset)  If that didn't help, the files you are looking for are mstscax.dll (MS TS Client Control) and msrdp.ocx (MS RDP Client Control).  As to where to find it, I don't see either of them on the MS website.  However, I did find KB951607 which might help as well.
    • Marked as answer by Bobsie Saturday, April 11, 2009 8:04 AM
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 12:41 AM
  • Well, you can color me hugely grateful. I deleted the registry key, re-registered the dll and IE then properly asked for the ActiveX installation when I tried to connect. Got right into my home PC.
    Even figured out how to solve the challenge of viewing a 24" monitor on this netbook's 10" screen....specify "Largest screen" rather than full screen.

Thanks so much for your help.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 8:04 AM