infrequently recurring server offline error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i'm struggling with an error, that my WHS seems to be offline then back online again. without me doing anything to the machine. this is especially anoying because i've got WSS running as a collaboration platform on the WHS.

is there anybody, who can tell me, where i can look to solve this problem?

Is any further Info required?

Thx

Ralf

Thursday, April 10, 2008 11:26 AM

All replies

• Ralf,

Is there any indication in the server Logs which might show what's happening?

Is this offline/online internally, or when trying to access from outside your network. You don't have any power saving settings enabled on the existing NIC.

Have you installed the ToolKit to check your connection. You could also check that your NIC has the latest drivers; by the way, what are the details of your server, self-build, HP, or what?

Sorry for the questions, but it will help people to diagnose your problems!

Colin

Thursday, April 10, 2008 4:19 PM
  • Hi Colin,

I'll try to answer your question, as you are wright, that it is a bit difficult to help without sufficient info.

There are no entries in the Serverlog, well except several DCOM Errors 10016.

The problem occurs when accessing the server via https:\\<homeserver.com>. The Serverconnector is running without problems.

It is a self-build machine with onboard NIC (Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet)

The device driver is up to date

I was thinking about trying dynds.org.

I hope this helps

Ralf

Thursday, April 10, 2008 9:00 PM
  •  

Ralf,

When you check the Remote Access item through the Settings Menu on the Console, what does it show? When you first open it, WHS will check all the Router and Web Site settings and indicate what if any, are or aren't working. Also, if you have the Server portion of the ToolKit installed, you can check the Remote Desktop and Firewall on the server.

I would check/confirm all these prior to introducing dydns.

Colin

Friday, April 11, 2008 4:55 PM
  • Hello

I am having a similar problem, if i dont't have any active connections out from the WHS box, it goes offline about 3 times an hour for 10-20 seconds. If i have remote desktop open with taskmanager running this does not happen.
    Having a file share open into the box is not enough, still goes offline.

Home built WHS with Nvidia onboard adapter, have also tried supported PCI board, same result.

This is annoyng as i stream digital video to/from the box. Only annoing becaues having desktop open fixes it, until next update, which seems to be quite frequent.
    Sunday, April 13, 2008 6:51 AM
  •  

Colin,

when i go to the Remote Access item the router & Domainame go into 'Test' status.All checks are successful 'green'

I just recognized an error email from the WHS saying sth. like:

"The WHS IP Address couldn't be synched with Microsoft Live Custom Domains. It is possible that Your Website is not accessible over the Internet".

Doesn't sound very promising, does it?

Ralf

Sunday, April 13, 2008 11:12 AM