I turned the pc on today and all was gone.. RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot perform back up because virus scan is running..should I turned it off and then try "back up" or I lost all my files?
    Monday, December 14, 2009 1:31 PM

Answers

• I'm not sure that I understand your situation, but I'm going to guess.
    You turned on the PC, but your desktop and icons look like a new PC and do not match what you usually see. OneCare is running a scan, so you cannot start backup.
    If that's the case, once the scan completes, simply reboot the PC. Your profile was in use when the PC powered up and you logged in, so a default temporary profile was used. Your files are not lost.
    Rebooting a logging in should resolve the problem.
    If not, contact OneCare support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, December 14, 2009 2:19 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure that I understand your situation, but I'm going to guess.
    You turned on the PC, but your desktop and icons look like a new PC and do not match what you usually see. OneCare is running a scan, so you cannot start backup.
    If that's the case, once the scan completes, simply reboot the PC. Your profile was in use when the PC powered up and you logged in, so a default temporary profile was used. Your files are not lost.
    Rebooting a logging in should resolve the problem.
    If not, contact OneCare support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, December 14, 2009 2:19 PM
  • thank you...i finally did a restore system and everything came back!
    i am thinking of backing up files in case something wors happns, but the pc wants to use cd or dvd..which means 10-12 discs..
    if I MAY ASK YOU, is there a way, to backup in a memory key or anothr small portable devic?
    thank you for your quick response!
    Monday, December 14, 2009 2:42 PM
  • Yes, as long as the USB key is large enough for the amount of data you need to back up, flash drives are supported. When you configure the backup plan, you can see how much space is required, based on the "what" chosen in the plan. Based on 10 to 12 discs, that would mean that your flash drive for the "what" you have selected will need to be fairly large - approaching 8 gigs. For the price of an 8 Gig thumb drive, you ca pick up a much larger external USB hard drive.
    -steve
    Monday, December 14, 2009 5:22 PM
  • Thank you again..
    do you recommend any particular external USB hard drive at good price/brand?
    I am not a computer person..
    many thanks
    paola
    Monday, December 14, 2009 5:30 PM
  • Thank you again..
    do you recommend any particular external USB hard drive at good price/brand?
    I am not a computer person..
    many thanks
    paola

Ho, paola - whatever is on sale is fine. :-)
    This is the cheapest one at Best Buy right now - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western+Digital+-+My+Passport+Essential+250GB+External+USB+2.0+Portable+Hard+Drive+-+Black/9522251.p?id=1218118265547&skuId=9522251 
    Mail order from NewEgg, all under $50, but add shipping and tax: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150414%204025&name=%2425%20-%20%2450
    There may well be plenty of other deals at stores like Staples, Office Depot, and many discount stores.
    You should be able to find a pretty large one for arounf $75.

-steve

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 12:12 AM
  • Thank you for everything!
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 1:23 PM