none
Windows Server 2008R2 HPC Edition _with_ SP1

Question

• Any chance we will see an install image some time soon with SP1 preloaded? It's a significant part of the deployment process at the moment, and we'd like to reduce or remove it if possible.

Matt.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:47 AM

All replies

• If you are looking to use on-premise compute nodes that are deployed from bare-metal, you could take advantage of the create-image feature within the product.  You would still have to take the time to deploy and configure one node but you could then use the image capture tool, point to that node, and create an image for further deployments.
    • Proposed as answer by Mark Staveley Friday, April 22, 2011 6:18 PM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 4:10 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. We might be able to make use of this we just haven't had much luck with applying configuration information to disk images. Unattended installs from installation media works fine however, so we were hoping we could apply that to some install media with SP1 preloaded.

Matt.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 3:49 AM
  • Hi Matt - in some of my testing I will deploy a single compute node with a volume licensed copy of Server 2008 R2.  When I create the deployment template I will check for all updates to be installed.  After the OS is instelled and the HPC components are installed then it will check for updates.  In this case you should see .NET 4.0 and SP1 for Server 2008 R2 being installed.  You could then capture an image from this node and deploy the rest of your machines - I do this on a semi-regular basis and have not had any issues with image capture or using the image for building out my cluster.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Thursday, April 21, 2011 4:11 PM