none
HP MediaSmart EX470 - All red lights? RRS feed

• Question

• I switched on my Ex470 today to be greeted with all red lights in the drive bays as soon as it's turned on.  The power light is steady blue and the health indicator light is steady purple. 

I've googled around and while there's not much out there that I can find on this problem, it seems to be something to do with the memory.  Should I replace it?

MTIA,
    Ferps
    Monday, April 20, 2009 9:34 AM

Answers

• You should contact HP for support; it sounds like a hardware failure.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 20, 2009 11:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    if the manual doesn't give you any information, what to do in such case, it may be time to contact HP support (especially if there is still warranty on the device).
    Other than that you could attempt to remove all disks besides the system disk (in my system it is the lowest) and see, if powering up works now.

Since the problem is specific to a certain hardware, I would point you also to the dedicated website MediaSmartServer.net.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, April 20, 2009 11:38 AM
  • You should contact HP for support; it sounds like a hardware failure.
    Monday, April 20, 2009 11:47 AM
  • I'm afraid that might be the case.  I actually have a new stick of memory so I might give that a go, but otherwise it looks like it's going back (bought it second-hand unfortunately, so no HP support I think).
    Monday, April 20, 2009 2:34 PM
  • Did you receive the manuals that came with the server? Chapter 7 of the users guide goes into the various meanings of the lights on the server, and tells you how to put it into a diagnostic mode. You can download the manuals from HP if you didn't. Note: your specific combination of lights isn't mentioned, but I don't think you've tried for a diagnostic boot yet. That your server is unresponsive after boot isn't a good sign, however.

You're probably right about the support, but you can call HP and ask anyway. If the previous owner never registered for support, you might get lucky. :)

Monday, April 20, 2009 3:04 PM
  • Hmm, OK.  I replaced the memory with a 2gig stick I had (was about the upgrade anyway) - now the red lights come on for 2 seconds, then go off.  Then the health indicator light flashes red then purple (or is it supposed to be blue) continuously.  Manual offers no clues that I can find - any help?

Edit: ooh, OK I think the server is in 'recovery mode' from a quick Google.  But it's long past my bedtime so I'll look at in the morning.  Any idea what I do next?

MTIA.
    Monday, April 20, 2009 11:16 PM
  • ...  Any idea what I do next?
    Read the fine manuals? I linked them for a reason. :)

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:50 AM
  • Yes, thank you Ken!  ;)  I'd flicked through the manual but it was late and my brain was fried.  I do appreciate the help, really.

I'm new to the MediaSmart so didn't really know where to start with a headless reinstall.  Hence my question for pointers.  Off to look through the manual again, but if anyone's been through this process (do I need a factory reinstall?) then would appreciate some tips.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:45 AM
  • You will want the server recovery option. Factory reset will wipe all disks clean.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 11:21 AM
  • Finally got through to someone at HP, they're re-sending the server recovery disks to me, so I'll see how that goes.  Since I installed the new memory, the red lights are now gone, but it appears from the health indicator lights that I need to reinstall the server (at least).

Many thanks for help so far.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:57 PM